Mytomtom on PC laptop not connecting

I just purchased a GO 2505. I followed the instructions for downloading and installing Mytomtom. When I plug in the 2505 to the laptop and click on the Mytomtom icon it keeps saying "No device connected".

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app about 4 times but to no avail. I even went so far as to remove any reference to Tomtom from the registry and I still have the same problem.

Note: I installed Mytomtom on my desktop PC and everything works great but I am on the road quite alot and want to check for updates regularly.

Any suggestions?

Try rebooting the unit by holding the power button 10-15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. Then connect to the computer.

Try a different usb port. Also, are you using the cable that came with the unit?

This might help... from the TT website:

If you are experiencing any of the issues listed below, you are having a problem with MyTomTom connectivity:

* You see a message in MyTomTom saying MyTomTom cannot use web connector port 4000. Please select another port via Settings.
* You have updates but the MyTomTom update page doesn't recognise your device.
* You get a message that MyTomTom is not installed although you know that it is installed and running.

To resolve any of the issues listed above, change the port number in MyTomTom by following the steps below:

1. Open the MyTomTom support application from the Windows system tray or Apple menu bar.

2. Click Settings.

3. Select the Connections tab.

4. For Web connector port, change the 4000 to an unused port number, for example 5000.

5. C lick Test availability.

6. If you see a green tick, click on Save settings. If not, change the port to another port number and test again.

I am using the cable supplied with the unit. As I mentioned before it works fine on my home PC. I have also tried all the USB ports and still nothing. I have changed the listening port and that doesn't work either. The only alternative is to popssibly do a system restore prior to trying to install the software, but that is my last resort. This is very frustrating.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to check driver settings and found that the tomtom device driver had been disabled. Don't know how it happened but after enabling it everything is working. Thanks for the help.

My TOMTOM on PC not connecting

Greta thread. I just purchased the GO 2535 TM and have the same problem about my laptop not recognizing the TOMTOM GPS. I'm not that computer savy and was wondering where I shoudl go. Device settings - I asume it on the control panel I'm running windows Vista - home premium. Thanks all.

I previously had a TOMTOM 920 T

You have installed MyTomTom (tomtom.com/getstarted)?

Your unit does NOT show as an external drive the same way your previous model did ince the user has no access to the file system in the 2X models.

If you go to network connections, you should see the tomtom listed there.

I have the GO 2535. I was going NUTS because no matter what I did Mytomtom app said no device connected. I had just paid for map updates so I really needed to have my 2535 connected EVEN though it WAS connected via usb. Long story short after 4-5 hours of trying everything. I uninstalled the Mytomtom app. Reinstalled it...it started saying can't connect to port 4000. Got that message a million time prior. SO..what worked for me was the uninstall..REINSTALL. BUT then I shut my computer OFF. This time I put my TomTom, The 2535 ON before my computer started, and it was hooked up to the usb port. When my computer restarted MAGIC, the my tomtom app immediately connected with my device and started to download the map I had bought. So if you are getting the NOT connected message TRY shutting your computer OFF. Put your tomtom ON and connected . Then put on your computer..Hopefully it will fix the not connected thing AND the port 4000 error message, this worked for me THOUGH I have no idea why. :blabla:

Ask a Question