MyTomTom/My Maps is screwy!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2535 TMWTE & GO720
The jury is still out as to whether or not I made a good decision to upgrade my TomTom to a 2535TM, however one thing is for sure: The process of setting up my lifetime maps, installing MyTomTom has been a pain in the a$$ from the beginning!

Once I did finally get Lifetime maps sorted out (it took a 45 min phone call to Cust Support) its now driving me crazy with new maps/content.

I was first prompted that I had a new map to install, so after 1+ hrs downloading and almost an hour installing its all good.

Next time I connect to MyTomTom New Content-Map available. I thought this was a little strange, but dismissed it to another start up glitch and went ahead and installed it. 1+ hrs later of d/l time, another almost 1 hr installing. It’s all good.

I was foolish enough to do this a THIRD time, until a day later, connect to MyTomTom, New Content, a map, is available AGAIN. This time I take a much closer look at everything: I have been toggling back and forth between Maps v870 and v 880 this whole time.

Turns out I installed 880 from 870. A day later, it told me 870 was the "new" map; I installed it, day later it told me 880 was a "new map" and I installed it. So it went for three or four days until I wised up!

So I have map v880.3856 installed now, but each time I connect to MyTomTom I am prompted to install v870. At least I know now to ignore that!
There are a number of other annoyances with the 2535 (like inability to voice enter an address if its in Canada) But I like the IQ routes, lane assist, and traffic)

The Voice Entry should work in Canada. A poster in another forum was running into the same issue. He stumbled upon a solution which was to switch to the Europe map. Then switch back to the USA_Canada map. And then voice entry worked.

The Voice Entry should work in Canada. A poster in another forum was running into the same issue. He stumbled upon a solution which was to switch to the Europe map. Then switch back to the USA_Canada map. And then voice entry worked.

Thanks, but thats another thing, my model is supposed to include Europe, but only US/Canada show up on the device. *sigh*

Call CS at 866-486-6866.

You did go to manage maps-->switch maps and there is only Usa_Canada listed?

Call CS at 866-486-6866.

You did go to manage maps-->switch maps and there is only Usa_Canada listed?

Yes, tried that. Obviously gonna have to call CS (again). No hurry on this one, will wait until something else comes up.

What is with this outfit? I still thing they make a superior product, but getting up and running and fully functional should not take 3 or 4 calls to CS as a routine!

Very disapointing. It was like this when I bought my first one (GO720) a few years ago. Something wrong with the way these people run things.....

I agree with the fact that they make a superior product but I also agree that the setup is ridiculous. I have had the XXL530S for about as year. Friday I bought the GO 2535TM. FINALLY today Customer Service was able to activate my maps (haven't had a chance to try it out yet but have found that an address that the 530 found with no difficulty at all can not be found by the 2535 which supposedly has the latest maps as of today. Is there a way to check the map version?

thanks,

... ed ...

Grrrrrrrrrrr, hooked up and logged into MyTomTom, it wants me to d/l a NEW map v 870, when I already have v880! What a bunch of idiots running that software!

Ask a Question