MyTomTom and IE9

TomTom Model(s)
XL340S, VIA 1535TM
A bit of help...

I just purchased a VIA 1535TM and when setting up MyTomTom I was not able to create a new account. Every time MyTomTom launched it skipped over the getting started section where I needed to create a new account. It also would not allow open the "Activate code" page.

Note that my computer is running 64 bit Windows 7 along with Internet Explorer 9.

I called tech support and they said suggested loading Chrome browser as MyTomTom is not fully compatible with "some" browsers. I didn't want to load Chrome, but it did get me thinking: I turned on IE9 compatibility mode, and once I did that MyTomTom allowed me create a new account, and it displayed the "Activate code" page.

One other thing: The support rep manually suggested that I allow him to enter my lifetime map activation code because they are having problems with the Web activation.

I don't know if it's an incompatibility with IE9, 64 bit Windows, or with the MyTomTom application.

And you did let him activate the maps, right?

It seems most North Americans are not able to use the Activation field online, regardless of browser or operating system.

Yes I did allow them to activate the lifetime maps. After reading this forum I thought it best to not risk trying it myself -- also didn't want to have to make another support call:)

My first message and I just wanted to confirm that I have had a similar problem with my Go Live 1000 and using MyTomTom with IE9 - like hifilistener I couldn't see to use the Map Update service or download items to my device, and the solution was the same - turn compatibility view on and then everything worked smoothly.:thumb:

Welcome to TTF and thanks for the feedback.

Think IE9 developers are the same guys who wrote the MyTomTom application ...... :(

Ask a Question