My XXL 550 is not showing the "Show Traffic on Rote" icon anymore...

Cant figure it out. It was there whenever I use it until Tuesday. I drive on a heavy traffic parkway daily so this is a must for me. Now whenever I plan a route and click "Minimixe Delays",the option / Icon for Show Traffic is not there. Usually on the screen,during a route, there is a little map vertical on the right of the screen showing any traffic and delays. It shows how many miles until you reach the traffic and how long. The only thing I did was update the maps on Saturday and the icon was there after.....until Tuesday. Anyone have suggestions?:confused:

Are you seeing any indication that your traffic receiver is working? Does the traffic bar on the right side of the unit appear?

Are you seeing any indication that your traffic receiver is working? Does the traffic bar on the right side of the unit appear?

The traffic bar is not showing up anymore. Has not since Tuesday. The icon is gone and the traffic bar is gone. When I click Mininmize Delays when setting a route, it does not give me option to Show Traffic Delays. Any thoughts?

Have you reset your unit?

No. I had a helluva time getting my pc to connect to it and I wound up holding the power button in until the drum roll happened. Then it updated the map.
Now if you mean, did I do a factory reset, then no. Do you think I should do that? I have the unit in my pocket. It may be charged enough to use without a USB.

I did mean the unit reset holding the power button. You seemed to have done that.

I don't think restoring to factory defaults (you'll lose all your custom settings) will help, but you never know........

The key is to get the unit to recognize the antenna has been connected when you plug it in. BUT, it also MUST be connected to the car as well, of course.

"The key is to get the unit to recognize the antenna has been connected when you plug it in. BUT, it also MUST be connected to the car as well, of course."

I understand. But, how am I going to get it to do that now?

Did you try uninstalling the application using Home's, Manage my Device, Device tab, application?

Remove it completely, then reconnect to Home and install the application again that will be offered.

Disconnect properly using the Device Disconnect icon. Then connect the antenna in the car and see if the unit recognized the rds-tmc antenna.

No, I will have to that tonight when I get home. I'll try that and post back tomorrow.Thanks.
Once I connect it to the PC and go into Home,Manage,Device Tab,Application.......exactly what app am I removing? Will be there only one thing showing?

Last edited:
The application on your unit. Yes, there should only be one and expect to see a warning that you shouldn't do it. Do it anyway.

You may want to make an Explorer, not Home, backup before doing the steps I said .... just in case.

Thanks for your help. I did that last night and it worked. All is well now. Maybe something in the last map update messed it up.I dont know why it did what it did. I''ll monitor it and hope it stays fixed.;)

Things went south again this morning.....
The Icon is gone again but he traffic bar is still there but didnt show me any traffic. This morning I hit a ton of traffic as I do most mornings and it showed no delays.
I can do the uninstalll application thing again but at this point I am thinking something may be wrong with the unit? My sister gave it as an X-mas gift and she bought it online, so at this point I dont even know if is returnable. I need to ask her.
What do you guys think? Defective?

Don't forget that the rds-tmc traffic is NOT like LIVE traffic in that it is not current or accurate in many cases.

If you had it working, I'd suggest trying it again later today to see if you get results..........

Ok. I can understand that....but then why does the Show Traffic On Route icon show up for me to choose and then sometimes it is not there? Is that normal? Maybe I am just thinking it should always be there because it was from day one.Maybe I am missing something? Sorry to be a pain.
Is there another TomTom that does have Live Traffic that maybe I should look into instead?

I don't know why it disappears sometimes.

The 340 LIVE and 740 LIVE models are offered in the States but they are subscription based.

Supermod mvl has a 740 LIVE and really finds it useful.

Ask a Question