My TT ONE XL finds many satellites, but wont use them..?

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE XL
One day when I started up my GPS, it refused to get any valid signal. It just keeps searching for signal, even tho it finds 5-10++ satellites at good quality. They just stay grey in the "GPS Status" window, and refuse to get 'accepted'.
So it behaves as it doesnt find any good signal, even tho theres a bunch of great satellites in range...

This is something that happened overnight.. I used it fine the day before (and every day before that since it was new).

Any idea what does this? And what to do to fix it?

Welcome to TTF.

You can try this........

Use Explorer to delete any files in the ephem folder on your unit.

Then delete any subfolders you see here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\

Then, connect to Home and update your unit. You should be offered a new quickgspfile.

Accept it, install, and see if things improve.

Thank you for your reply.
What you suggested did not work tho. Still got same problem. :(

I tried placing my TT in the window and it found 6 satellites with good signal quality. It never accepted/converted them (or whatever to call it), so it just stayed in 'Waiting for a valid GPS signal...' mode..

One day when I started up my GPS, it refused to get any valid signal. It just keeps searching for signal, even tho it finds 5-10++ satellites at good quality. They just stay grey in the "GPS Status" window, and refuse to get 'accepted'.
Are either of these true? a) it's been a long time since you powered up your GPS. b) the last time you used it, it was quite some distance from your present location.

If either is true, you may find it necessary to wait 10 minutes or more with your unit in "open sky" conditions before your unit will realize that either a) it's been in Rip Van Winkle mode, or b) it got teleported. Either way, your unit will wonder what gives with the satellites it sees vs. what it knows (or doesn't, after dhn's good advice) and will take a bit to both rediscover the satellites and start pulling down valid data from them.

As I wrote earlier, it's been almost daily in use.
The day it stopped working was on a monday. Last used was friday evening before that.
Start on monday was same location as stop on friday.

I tried keeping it on all day I was at work that day, so it was mounted on the windshield in my truck for 14 hours. It was turned on all the time, except for a few times I turned it off/on and I also tried the reset button some times.

Hi Kristian.

I had that problem with my ONE XL.S. The first thing I would do is as suggested, delete the gpsquickfix file on the GPS itself. Then, I would reset the unit by turning it off, pressing the little reset button with a paper clip (if there is a reset button). Then, I would press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so, until your GPS screen turns on and displays "code" (it will be a screen you have never seen before). Make sure you hold the power button down until you see this screen.

This will reset the coordinates of the GPS to 00 00.0 S 000 00.0 E.

If this does not solve your problem (and it didn't solve mine), and your unit is under warranty, I would either return it, or call tomtom support to get it exchanged (that's what they did for me).

I hope others can provide you with more help if this does not work for you.

JF

I am getting exactly same issue from last one week.
Response from Tom Tom Support team as given below:
To install the latest version of TomTom HOME 2, please do the following:-

• Go to TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems
• Click on the download button for TomTom HOME
• In the menu that shows click on ‘Run', TomTom HOME will start to download
• Once complete, click on 'Run' to continue with the installation.
• Follow the instructions until the installation is complete
• When HOME is active then connect your unit to your computer using the USB Cable
• HOME will automatically detect your unit and prompt you to install any updates
• Download and install all the offered updates, once this is done your device will reboot.
• Check the GPS status of your device now, please leave it near a window or open area for at least 30 mins to check whether or not it gains any signal.

If the device still have no signal, please follow the following steps:-

STEP 1 - B
ackup
- Connect your device to the computer and open TomTom HOME.
- Navigate to 'Back up and restore'
- Select backup my device.
- Please disconnect it from your computer
- Turn your TomTom device on
- Tap on to 'Change Preferences -> Reset Factory Settings'
** Don't go through the set up options just yet **
- Reset your device as shown on How to soft-reset my navigation device

Once you have done this, proceed with setting up the start up options on your device.

STEP 3 - Check the GPS Status

- Let the device load to the map screen (the one with the blue arrow in the centre)
- Tap on the bottom right hand corner of the screen, where the satellite bars are shown - it looks like a set of steps
- On the next screen, tap on the right hand side of the screen where it says '0 satellites' and has a battery image
- You should now be at the GPS Status page

- In the top right hand corner you will see a small black & orange circle. This represents the GPS receiver and it should be spinning at all times to indicate the GPS receiver is turned on. Please let us know immediately if this circle is not spinning.

- Along the bottom you see a row of vertical bars. These represent individual satellite signals. If they are empty (white) there is no signal being picked up. Grey indicates a weak signal and blue indicates a strong one. You need at least 3 blue signals to be able to begin navigating.

STEP 4 - Monitor the GPS

- Now please take your device outside. You should not be in a car and not under any tall buildings, trees etc., which may block satellite signals.
- Watch the GPS Status page and time how long it takes until you receive 3 blue satellite signals.

This can sometimes take as long as an hour, and that is perfectly normal as we have just reset the unit. The next time will be a lot faster.

Once you have a valid GPS signal, your TomTom device should hold onto it and pick it up again much faster in future. In the unlikely event that you see no movement in the satellite signals after an hour, please contact us immediately as this may indicate a fault with your TomTom device.

If you find that you are still not receiving a GPS signal, please state the following information:-

1. Is the black and orange GPS indicator spinning?
2. System Information:-
The system information can be found in HOME by clicking on Help->System information. Click on copy to clipboard. You can now paste this into the update field when replying to my email as shown at the end of this email.

Once we have this information we will be able to decide if your device requires a repair or not.

vinod; I love you.
Thank you very much!
Now it works great again! Grabs valid signals within seconds. Even when I'm indoors.

Ask a Question