My trip to the DC area.

TomTom Model(s)
ONE
Took my longest trip so far with my ONE from upstate NY to the Washington, DC area. The route the ONE generated (non-toll) was almost identical to my usual route. It did take me on a short-cut from Rt. 30-A to I-88. The only other deviation was that it wanted to put me on I-95 from I-695 in Baltimore. But I wanted to take 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway). No problem, as soon as I passed the exit for 95, the ONE recalculated and put me on 295.

I love how it instantly recalculates a route. My friend has a Megellan which is always telling him to make a u-turn.

My ONE got me to my daughter's house in Maryland perfectly. The real test came the next day when I had to drive to my grandson's birthday party in Mt. Vernon, VA. I had programmed the address in as a favorite. Traffic was extremely heavy and it was helpful being able to just listen to directions and not have to try and read signs while watching traffic. Only slight snag was where there was construction at I-495 and US 1. It told me to take the exit to the right, which I did, and was correct, but then it promptly got lost and told me to turn around. But in just a couple of seconds it had me back on US 1 and all was fine. I think the ramp had been altered during the construction.

There was also construction at an intersection where I needed to turn left and I couldn't make the turn. No problem, the ONE recalculated and turned me left at the next intersection and proceeded to guide me to my destination.

The only other issue I had was on the trip home. I had added the Cracker Barrel POI and tried to find one on I-81. There are several right at exits but the only ones the ONE could find were 40 miles off the interstate. That's not the fault of the ONE but of the POI file. I had to rely on billboards to find one.

Except for running into a snowstorm when we got near home it was a smooth trip and my ONE performed great.

Jim

Yeah the ramps on the beltway (495) are always being screwed with. The fact that the TomTom could keep it up with at all is oustanding. It's really a terrible road, always packed, and semi confusing for people new to the area.

Thanks for the trip report

Good trip report. We just used ours on a recent trip to the Alexandria, VA area. Everything worked fine. It came in handy when we got off the beaten path. I am pretty familiar with the area since I'm there almost every month. It still comes in handy though.

great trip report. i'm about to take my first trip (only 5 hours) from baltimore to pittsburgh. although i've made the trip a few hundred times i'm still anxious to follow the lead of my tomtom. i'm the kind of person that uses my gps to go to the local grocery store and back home. my wife just shakes her head..lol

great trip report. i'm about to take my first trip (only 5 hours) from baltimore to pittsburgh. although i've made the trip a few hundred times i'm still anxious to follow the lead of my tomtom. i'm the kind of person that uses my gps to go to the local grocery store and back home. my wife just shakes her head..lol
Women just don't understand!!! :D

Ask a Question