My TomTom reboots a lot

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 S LIVE
Since I upgraded to the new 855 maps my TomTom is rebooting a lot. Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix it?

You can try:
1. Making an Explorer, not Home, backup
2. Reformatting your unit. Don't use quickformat.
3. Restore the backup.

If that doesn't help..........

Plan B:
1. Use Explorer to copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the backed up map folder to the new 855 map folder on your unit.
2. Connect to Home. Manage Favourites.
3. Make a change to one Favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one. It doesn't matter.
4. Disconnect the unit from Home properly (using the Device disconnect icon).

See if that helps.

Yesterday before I turned my TomTom off for the day I edited a Favorite just because it needed editing.

Later on I read your comment here about editing a Favorite. I appreciate your quick response.

I also decided to search TomTom and found this...

Navigation device looping after map update

Today I powered up my TomTom and it was fine on my commute in to work.

I will see if editing a Favorite after a map update did the trick. If not I will follow the advice given by you and TomTom and see what happens.

I really like my TomTom but it reboots way too much. I cannot recommend TomTom until the rebooting issues are resolved.

I had a simialr problem after adding several POIs from the TTH site. After removing them, the rebooting stopped. I have added some since, but do it one set at a time and wait and see what happens.

I really like my TomTom but it reboots way too much. I cannot recommend TomTom until the rebooting issues are resolved.

definitely a known issue with no real solution thus far. I personally think its a memory issue. I feel that the only solution would be something like the possible release of the tomtom 1000 that has greater memory. This however is only my opinion I have the 920 unit and it does this also. Try to show as few poi's as possible on your map keeping as much out of memory as possible. This may help slightly

Does it reboot at the exact same sequence of steps (eg: searching for a POI, address, etc)?

If so, run "Operate my XL" in HOME and perform the rebooting step in the emulator to clear out any corruption. Afterwards, add a favorite in HOME and disconnect.

Then you can delete the temporary favorite on the device.

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems to reboot at first turn on before the "Live" traffic information comes in. It reboots with no interaction from me at all other than putting in a destination. But the only common thing is it seems to reboot once powered on in the first few minutes. Maybe while acquiring Live data or satellite information? Another thing is it reboots much more after I did the latest map (855?). It rebooted before the latest map but much less frequently so I blew it off.

After it is running a while it is stable but it has rebooted so many times I am un easy about it.

What if I did a master reset? I guess I have to re add my personal info like home address and favorites?

I also had the rebooting issue and TT CS had me remove the unit's application and have TTH reinstall it. This helped for a bit, but the rebooting slowing became more frequent again. The POI removal I mentioned earlier cleared it up for me.

Ask a Question