My TomTom on PDA - No new maps + GPS Question

TomTom Model(s)
Via 135. "Lifetime" Europe map. Purchased USA map. Old TT GO 930T as backup and for ITN use!
I've been happily using my TomTom software installed on a HP IPAQ. With a great Bluetooth GPS (iTrek m7), it's got me safely to many destinations in USA and Europe.

We're off to USA in May so have been looking at updating the maps. TomTom GO on my PC offered me a new map for around ?49. Something made me try and find out what date that map would be and, tucked away somewhere on the TomTom site I found a statement that no new maps for TomTom 6 were available... since 2007! Naughty...

So now, I have a great system that works well but can no longer get new maps. What an absolute pain! Great support, TomTom.

So I'm now looking at buying a standalone TomTom with maps for Europe and USA. Not interested in traffic - we don't have much here and not worth it for the 4 weeks we'll be in USA.

BUT, I would like the option of connecting my current BT GPS to the TomTom. Is that possible to any of the standalone TomToms?

What TomTom would suit? I am confused.

Thanks.

If you want to continue using the PDA and GPS receiver then have a look at Sygic as this has far more up to date maps and the user interface is nearly identical to that of TomTom version 6 on a PDA - Well worth considering and USA maps are available as are European.

If you want the TomTom PND solution try and locate a new Go-920 or Go-930 as these, being new will be suppiled with the latest map gaurantee, the more current models being the 940 and 950 but these attract additional costs - Go bargain hunting and you won't go far wrong with a new purchase 930 if you can find one - Mike

Sygic etc

Great. I'd never heard of Sygic. Am checking it out now.

Thanks so much.

John

I've looked at the site and it does not appear as if my HP IPAQ HX 2490 is supported. Their link to email them failed. Not very reassuring.

So I do think it's time to move forward and I've been looking at the bewildering array of TomToms.

I have found a new TomTom GO 930 on Ebay for a good price, loaded with maps for Europe and North America.

BUT, as it's an older model, would I still be able to download the latest maps for free on purchase? From what you are saying above, I think the answer has to be YES but wanted to check before investing.

Also, how long before I can no longer buy map updates (as per TomTom 6?!).

As ever, thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
With an e-bay purchase there is no way of knowing if the device is truely new, if it has been used then the LMG won't work and you will get landed with the cost of updating the map.

The TomTom Go devices can all run the very latest maps and should continue to do so with each update, the software is very different to that used on the PDA and doesn't lock you down to a specific vesion of map. Even the original Go Classic device can accept the latest maps at a price. The Go range is a better option if you are willing to retire the PDA to be honest - Mike

Thanks Mike. That's reassuring.

The ebay items are factory sealed & refurbished with 6 month TomTom guarantee. Wonder if I get free map update with this?

Can answer that myself, now. The answer is "no free map upgrade". An honest seller and some Google research told me that. But I think it's still a good deal and, even without updating, will have more up to date maps than on my PDA.

Ask a Question