My TomTom Experience after 18 months

TomTom Rider - Read this before you buy !
July 5, 2008
1. As an early adopter, I paid $600 US for the TomTom Rider1!
2. I have owned a Rider for more than 18 months.
3. The first one I had, the dock broke in Texas while I was riding Route 66, summer 2007.
4. I called TomTom from Texas (I live in Calif) and asked them to FedEx a new one.
They said no.
5. Once home, I had to send them my Dock.
TomTom sent me a new Dock, it took them 1 month to get it to me.
6. After a while I started to notice that the Rider was not charging while in the dock on my bike.
7. They asked me to send them my Rider with all the accessories.
8. After 4 weeks, they sent me the new Rider 2, with no charger and no accessories.
9. They asked me to send it back.
10. After another 4 weeks, they sent me another.... the new Rider 2... with all the accessories.
11. The dock didn't charge.
12. After another week, they sent me a new dock. It worked, it charged.
I thought cool, new dock, new TomTom. I'm ready to rock and ride!
A week or two passes.
13. The Rider will not charge in the dock.
I also have a mount wired in my car.
I tested all cables. Each test clearly indicates that I have 12+ volts from the power source to the cable end that plugs into the dock.
14. It is clear that from the cable end to the dock pins; no power.
15. What use is a GPS if it won't charge in the dock?
16. I could bore you with the inane performance of TomTom technical support but these guys and the company that allows this sort of automated, unresponsive support well, in a word, they are idiots.
I would NEVER again buy any TomTom product.

Email if you wish ? tomtomsucks at okbehappy dot com

I had many of the same problems you described with my Rider1, only with a slightly better outcome after it was replaced with a "2".

I returned everything with my Rider1 and it took me about 8 phone calls to finally get a car dock (like I returned to them). The person on the phone said "Return everything, it won't work on the new unit anyway."

I've since put about 2500 riding miles on mine with no issues. I've even been "off road" with it and no charging issues have arisen. I like the new scala headset too.

Wow, sorry to hear of all your troubles. I have a TTR2 on my suzuki VStrom and have had zero issues with it at all. I have put on over 28,000km this year with the TT mounted. Rain, hail, heat, etc...no probs at all.

Cheers

glad this guy took time out of his day to join the forum, post one negative tomtom review, then leave. influential testimonial, indeed.

Ask a Question