My tomtom called the police.

I thought I'd share this experience. I've just been using the 'handsfree phone' feature of the 930. When I turn on the 930 it connects to my cellphone which is in my pocket. When I reach the destination I take the gps with me, turn it off and shove it in my pocket.

As we all know the 930 has this power button sensitivity that makes it turn on at the slightest touch. Anyway I got a call from the police : "Are you alright sir? Yes? I said. You have been calling us repeatedly.. Oh I must have dropped my phone.. I said.

The brain computing power in my head started analyzing what went wrong. Was my cell phone hacked? Then looking at the Tomtom 930 screen, there it was the icon for 'HELP ME'. It appears the bouncing coins in my pocket hit the tomtom screen hit the HELP ME icon and the gps dialed the police. Then it got saved as 'recently called numbers' in tomtom.

If there is a silver lining to the embarassing experience, it will be that the HELP ME function of the tomtom does work.

I'm now very careful with these devices.

My 720 nearly dialed the police during the first week I had it, but I happened to be in a building without cell reception. Pretty much the same situation, but without the screen-scratching coins.

Now my ONE, otoh, used to frequently "save favorites" from within my pocket of whatever location I happened to be in, with names like: "fffffffffjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkklllll" and "rrrrrrrrrrrttttttttyyuuuuu"

Ask a Question