My Tomtom 730 stopped working out of the cradle

TomTom Model(s)
730 GO
Hi guys,

Sooo I was happily using my Tomtom GO 730 while updating it with my Mac OS X Tomtom Home software, and it was all ok. The unit is 2 weeks old.

I had to send my Mac to repair so I synced my Tomtom with Windows 7. Then the problem began. Windows' HOME software installed some application on my device called 'Tomtom WORK' instead of 'Tomtom GO', saying it was an update. Then the device, while fully browsable via Tomtom Home and Explorer, was unusable - when I turned it on out of the dock it would never show the map interface, and when in he dock, it never asked if it should connect to the computer like before, already connecting automatically.

I then followed the steps I read around: copied everything from the device to my disk, and formatted the device. Then copied only the folders (like Maps and Voices) back.

But when I reinstall my Tomtom GO application via HOME (downloading the last update from the internet), not only the device is stil not working outside the cradle, I get greyed out options in HOME like 'Computer Voices' (says I can't use them) and 'Back Up and Restore'.

If I copy all the files I had copied before formatting (all folders and files), the device also doesn't work (red flashing cross at startup outside the dock) but the options to install Computer Voices and the Backup buttons go back to normal.

I guess it's some issue with the Tomtom application in the GPS, since if I update it via HOME some options are greyed out and the device is unusable, although it 's perfectly normal for browsing files via HOME or Explorer / Mac OS X Finder. Anyway, using my old copied files (unfortunately after windows messed up my device) turns on all the options like Computer Voices on HOME but the device is unusable the same way.

Any possible fix on that? Thanks a bunch, I know I wrote a LOT :p

Ouch - once in a while, this happens. You're not the first to report it. Home gave you the application for a similar but different unit that doesn't even use the same maps.

The correct current application for your 730 is 8.351.

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Use Explorer to remove all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
3. Get the 8.351 application here: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
Save it to disk where you can find it.
4. Use WinRar to extract the files from that *.cab file to your unit, overwriting as necessary...
5. Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device Disconnect icon in the notification area.
6. When you're done and up and running, make ANOTHER backup of your unit's contents in a different folder -- that will be your functioning backup if anything goes south in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did that. Actually my software had already been corrected to 8.351 after I deleted the app via HOME and updated again using my mac... But the problem persisted, my GPS won't start outside the dock, flashing cross with the sliding SD symbol.

Also, when I did what you suggested, the 'Computer Voices' option in my HOME were grayed out. Since I had a backup of all the files , I moved the computer voices and in tomtom HOME it appears the voices are installed but 'the application won't let me use TTS Computer voices'. Also, if the backup and restore options in Tomtom were grayed out too after I did what you suggested me. If I just copy my old files before I deleted them I can download any TTS voice, backup option appears, etc.... So, is there some 'license' file that's in my old copy that is missing from the app you gave me the link?

But the major problem is, using your app or my 'old' app (which is actually the 8.351 after I corrected it deleting tomtom WORK and updating again), with the same folders, or even with just one map folder and one voice (the minimum Tomtom support recommends after you format your device), the result is the same outside of the dock: flashing X with the 'SD sliding out' animation (I have no SD in my device).

Maybe it's broke? Because with your solution, it should at least turn on with the maps outside the dock, right? Even if it disables TTS and other stuff unlike if I use the files I backed up (explorer backup, not via Home), the map should appear and the option to connect to the computer too, instead of it connecting automatically.

And thanks!

Also, when I did what you suggested, the 'Computer Voices' option in my HOME were grayed out. Since I had a backup of all the files , I moved the computer voices and in tomtom HOME it appears the voices are installed but 'the application won't let me use TTS Computer voices'.
This is getting messy. What we do NOT want to mess around with at present is Home. As often as not, it will complicate an existing problem. Insofar as is possible, we want to stick with moving files around with the PC and avoiding Home altogether. In fact, when it pops up when you connect your 730, do what you can to just shut it down.

All of the voice files should have been tucked away in a folder such that they were untouched when you just deleted the "loose" files in the root of your TomTom. Consequently, I'm not sure why they would have disappeared, or why copying them back from your backup would have made any difference.

Once more with the above instructions. When the job is complete, depress the reset button in the hole in the base of your unit. See if it boots to any usable screen while disconnected from your computer. If not, we have another set of steps that begin with

1) Go to this link: Clear Flash tool

2) Get the tool specified there, install and run it. Note that even TT recommends 3 uses of the tool sequentially.

Ask a Question