My ONE 2nd edition comments

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 2nd edition
In the past I have used a PDA with both Mapopolis and iGuidance for GPS use. I bought a TomTom ONE 2nd edition as my first all-in-one and used it for a week during a Thanksgiving trip. These are some comments I have based on my use.

Pros:
  • It usually gives plenty of advance notice when to turn and especially when you get really close to the turn. I still missed some turns though until I finally started trusting it. One time though I didn't get any notice until it was .25 miles to my turn. That was a rarity as usually it started about a mile or so from the turn.
  • I like how it says things like "turn left and stay in the left lane" to give you some advance notice of what you need to do.
  • I like how the voice volume adjusts when the speed of the car changes.
  • I was afraid since I bought the 2nd edition on purpose that it would be difficult to convince TomTom to get me the latest maps, as I saw in forums that other people had to pretty much beg them. Fortunately they solved that problem with the latest Home version.

Cons:
  • I am used to having a confirmation beep if I make a correct turn or another beep if I messed up. With this one I was never sure if I was really doing the right thing or not since it would automatically recalculate without really letting me know, unless I happened to see that it was recalculating.
  • When you near a turn, it usually starts in miles to go and then starts telling you yards to go. The problem is the display still shows miles like .35 miles while the voice is telling me yards. Hence it's sometimes difficult to coordinate between the two. My daughter actually found somewhat of a workaround. She said just watch the map. :)
  • You have reached your destination. Great, is it on the left or right????
  • With the purchase came a free downloaded voice. There was a choice of 3 but no idea if they were American, U.K., or what. I even searched the web to try and get an idea before I chose but couldn't find a list or anything. I guessed on Mickey and unfortunately got a U.K. which I didn't want so I wasted my one free voice.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase. I'll be using it again for a Christmas trip so I'm sure things will be a little more clearer.
Jeff

Ask a Question