"My Location" grayed out

I am trying to save my current location as a favorite but when I go to "My Location" it is grayed out. Not sure if it's related to my other problem of loosing my favs after a map upgrade or not. Any ideas?

TIA,

Dwight

TT GO 930
Map Version 880.3810
SW Version 8.302 (Had a newer version but had to downgrade so mp3 player would work)
TT Home Version 2.8.2.2264

Did you wait until you got a solid GPS fix? If you try to do what you describe quickly after turning it on (before you get a solid location fix), it won't know your current location, and won't allow for that option. Can't think of any other reason that this should occur.

I took the unit outside and did a "Navigate to" and let it calculate a route and "My Location" is still grayed out.

Dwight

My location WILL be greyed out when you go to "Navigate to...", that's perfectly normal.

Think about it..... why would you want to "Navigate to..." your location? You're already there!

TT buddies will be greyed out if you don't have any buddies (and is being phased out anyway).

How were you trying to add the favourite?
The correct menu sequence for a NAV2 GO model such as the 930 is Main menu / forward arrow(second page) / Add Favourite / forward arrow(second page) / My location

For both of those you need a good satellite lock before it will let you save the location, otherwise the icon WILL be greyed out.

If you are indoors then you can use one of the other methods to save the Favourite e.g. Browse map / tap screen to place blue cursor / tap Cursor button at bottom / Add as Favourite.

Your current difficulties are not connected with losing your Favourites after a map update. Do a forum search for how to fix that.

When he first said "when I go to 'My Location'" I didn't think he meant "Navigate to", but rather, when in Manage Favorites / Add Favorite, was going to the screen that included "My Location". Now I'm beginning to wonder.

In his later message, he really was trying to "Navigate to" his own location. I think the unit must be amused by that idea.

Guess we will see what that meant now, eh?

I was answering the second post first, i.e. this:
I took the unit outside and did a "Navigate to" and let it calculate a route and "My Location" is still grayed out.

Then I went on to mention satellite reception for the first post, (like you did) :)..

I think poor sat reception is probably the problem. I put "Add Position to Favorites" on the quick menu and when I try to use that it tells me I have poor reception. I assumed since I was getting enough reception for it to identify my current location and calculate a route that it wasn't a problem. Obviously I was wrong. I haven't had a chance to take it somewhere else to test the theory yet but I think that has to be the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dwight

Hmm..
If it has enough satellite reception to identify your current location then it *should* be able to store it as a Favourite.
But in poor reception areas (like indoors) it only needs to get a "fix" momentarily to grab your location and show it on screen, but for safety it needs a current fix to save it as a Favourite.

I just tried it outside again and it still tells me I have poor reception ever though I show 10 satellites and 5 green bars. Seems like that should be enough.

Really should be, but ...

Might be worth waiting a little longer. You can get a fix with 4 satellites, but 5 is still marginal, and if the bars are really short (indicating weak signal, but usable), the accuracy is likely quite impaired, hence the message. Be patient and see of some of the rest of those 10 bars turn color for you.

How tall are your five colored bars, anyway (and for that matter, how tall are the other 5 gray ones)? Anything close to full scale?

I've only got five bars. They are graduated in height going from the shortest at the left to the tallest at the right and they fill in from left to right as the signal strength increases. Five bars indicates maximum signal I assume so it seems like signal strength is not the problem.

Dwight

Um.. you are talking about the little display on the main screen. I am talking about a far more serious display. Still, if you have five bars on the main driving screen, then no, signal quality shouldn't be an issue.

As for what I meant before (not that it much matters with 5 bars on the front)...

Tap the little 5 bar indicator on your main screen. That will take you to yet another screen. Tap them there, too.

You now should be seeing a whole series of bars across the bottom of the screen. Each bar will be either colored (indicating good data is being received from that satellite) or gray (indicating you are receiving that satellite but no data is being processed from it yet), or white (just an empty bar - a placeholder for more satellites). The colored and gray bars will each have a height corresponding to the signal strength for that satellite, and it's satellite number.

OK - what I was asking before - but may be irrelevant now - was how many colored bars, and how tall, and how many additional gray bars (if any) and how tall?

Last edited:
This is the screen you're looking for:

tomtom_gps.jpg

Thanks Andy. I didn't know that screen existed. Hadn't seen anything about it in the manual. I finally got a chance to the unit on a road trip and "My locations" is there now. Must have been a poor signal where I was.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dwight

Ask a Question