My home address not in map--how do I fix this?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Hi, my very first attempt at using my new GO 730 was to program in my home address. Unfortunately, it didn't know my street. Not particularly surprising, since many GPSes don't seem to know this street exists. But to the best of my knowledge the street has been here for decades!

I would like to program in the street, but after clicking around the menus I don't see how to do that. Can anybody offer any advice on how to do this? Thanks.

Last edited:
All you can do is use mapshare to report a missing street (namely yours). But reported mapshare changes do not get shown on your map and the best you can hope is that a future map will reflect the new road. The next map (850) is due within one month so I doubt it'll be on that one.

Mind you, if the reason for showing your street is to show your home location, many would advise NOT to show your actual location anyway. In case the unit is lost or stolen, you don't want the bad guys to know your actual location. So, you can place your 'home' location a block or so away. Close enough to give you realistic routes using that as a starting point but still not your real location.

dhn,

that's good advice. Thanks. I hadn't considered that.

You also helped put my mind at ease. I was feeling a little dumb because I couldn't figure out how to create a new street. I guess I am a little disappointed in the map share feature. I thought it would let you fix the map. In order to fix certain problems, you'd have to be able to input new street information.

On another note, where do the companies that provide these maps get their information? I'm curious why 3 out of 4 systems that generate directions don't know about the street I live on? It wouldn't be a big mystery if 4 out of 4 didn't have it, but it's odd that some percentage of mapping services know about it. Recently both Google maps and mapquest began to show the street so I know the data is available.

TomTom uses TeleAtlas as its map provider. TT owns that company. You can report your correction directly to TeleAtlas' site here.

But that doesn't guarantee the change will filter back to TT any faster.........

Doesn't hurt to try, though.

You also helped put my mind at ease. I was feeling a little dumb because I couldn't figure out how to create a new street. I guess I am a little disappointed in the map share feature. I thought it would let you fix the map. In order to fix certain problems, you'd have to be able to input new street information.

Mapshare lets you erase roads, and change their direction, names, speed limits, etc. It also lets you add/change/delete points of interest.

Unfotunately, it doesn't let you do is add streets or change street numbers.

don't even try.

I'm content having my street off the grid. I just use a neighboring street. That way, all my directions work well. and I sure know my way around the neighborhood.

Ask a Question