My Go 730 is all messed up

I bought a new Go 730 on Black Friday.

This morning, I landed in Copenhagen. I had previously purchased and downloaded the Northern Europe 2G map from TomTom, but had not installed it in the device yet, as I just didn't have the time before my trip.

So I am at the airport installing the Europe maps, when my laptop battery dies about 70% of the way into the files being copied from my laptop into the device. I had to delete almost everything off the device just to get these maps to fit in the first place.

So my Go 730 started firing up saying no maps installed. I tried playing with it for a little while, and now it won't even get that far. When I fire it up one of two things happens: If it's not plugged into the computer and the SD card is in, it gives me a graphic saying to take it out. When it take it out, it gives me a graphic saying to insert it. When I insert it again, it says take it out.

If it IS plugged into the computer and I fire it up, it pops up a folder on my computer saying "Removable Disk(E:)" with some files in it, and that's all it does.

All I want to do is reset this thing back to factory default with the US maps so I can reinstall my European maps. I'm sure it woulda gone fine if my laptop hadn't died the first time, but I had no means to plug it in at the airport. How do I accomplish this?

I should also point out that even though it doesn't recognize having any maps in the device, it says it's only got 500 megs free on the hard drive. However, the map files aren't listed anywhere in TomTom Home. So I need to figure out how to remove those, as well.

If you didnt make a backup, you may need to contact tomtom to redownload the map if you can, if not bring it back to the store, and swap it with a new one, the MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! then redownload your map.. hope this helps alittle

If you didnt make a backup, you may need to contact tomtom to redownload the map if you can, if not bring it back to the store, and swap it with a new one, the MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! then redownload your map.. hope this helps alittle

Thanks for the reply. I have a couple problems that make this unfeasible though:

1) I can't take it back to the store. The store (Best Buy) is 6000 miles away (I'm in Denmark right now)
2) I have the maps on my computer. I can click "Add map". The problem is it says there's not enough space to, because the map that MOSTLY downloaded before the laptop battery died is still on the flash drive in the device, but doesn't show on the software inventory list so that I can remove it and try again.

So I guess my main problem at this point is: How do I remove a file from the flash drive in the device (the internal one, not the one I added into the SD slot) that doesn't appear on the list? How do I dig into the machine ala going into the C drive on my laptop for a normal file?

Update:

So I installed the North America maps (smaller file than Europe) onto the SD card that I installed in the device. So I can now get into the menus of the device.

The problem as it exists NOW is that when I go into the preferences and try to select "restore factory defaults", it's greyed out. Suggestions?

1) backup your Tomtom per this link.
2) Format the device as fat32
3) disconnect and power off/on the Tomtom
4) reconnect, and in HOME, go to update my GO and it should reinstall the application (don't put voices yet). Do it repeatedly until you have app 8.351
5) install the map now via home
6) copy the North America folder back so you have that too
7) use home to install voices

Ask a Question