My first GPS purchase- 1st post!

Well, the time finally arrived! I got tired of finding myself in places where I had no idea how I got there and decided to purchase a GPS. I had simple requirements or at least in my opinion. First, I wanted at least a 4" screen. Second, I wanted street names on the maps. Third, I wanted to be able to talk to the unit.

I posted some questions in another TomTom site for recommendations and I was told that the 720 would work fine. BUT it had to be a new unit rather than a rebuilt unit that now seems to be flooding the market for around $170. I was told that I would need a software update and then I would be able to get the voice command feature to work. Well, I called TomTom and they told me if I wanted 730 features to purchase a 730. I also understand that the operating system in the 730 is different than that in hte 720.......... so I was told by others but that does not make it so. It just adds to the confusion.
OH, TomTom also told me that a rebuilt 720 had the exact same warranties and software downloading features as a new 720.

Anyway, I could not purchase a 720 for the price I wanted to pay in fact the price of a new 720 was/is about the same as a 730!

I purchased a 730! Found a seller who offered them for $284. It is now in the delivery cycle. Hope I am happy with this new toy I purchased a present from me to me!

Foggy

FIRST Thing

FIRST thing to do when you receive your unit, and assuming you're running Windows...

1) Do not yet install anything from the CD
2) Windows: Tools / Folder Options / View / Show Hidden Files and Folders (CLICK)
3) Plug your TomTom into your computer's USB port. It appears as a disk drive
4) Make a folder somewhere and with the usual Windows methods, copy ALL of the contents of your TomTom to it!
5) Unplug your TomTom.
6) Now install whatever TomTom has provided on the CD

7) When you plug in your TomTom, do NOT accept anything they offer in the way of
software or maps until you've talked to the folks here on TomTom forums. You may well prefer what you received with your unit to whatever "upgrade" they're offering.
8) Be SURE that within 30 days of the date of your purchase receipt, you talk to the folks here about the process of getting your "guaranteed" map upgrade. We are suspecting that a new one will come out in January, so you may want to wait until Day 29 to call TomTom about your free map update.

Once you have the initial state of your TomTom 730 backed up, you'll be able to make all of these decisions knowing that you can always backtrack to something you like better if need be!

A 720 is no different than a 730 besides the color of the unit. The 720 is black with a silver trim on the front, whereas the 730 is black all over. That's the only difference.

I bought my refurbished 720 for $169.99 with a 1 year warranty. New/Refurbished units from authorized TomTom dealers all qualify for the Latest Map Guarantee as well. Voice command works without problems (works straight out of the box)

If TomTom really told you that you needed a 730 for 730 features, they flat out lied. Of course, their goal is to push sales of their newer units, but the reality is that there is no difference between the 2 units. The fact that TomTom said that to you has me a bit irritated... Blah!

Well now that you have your 730, Enjoy! :) TomToms are great units.

A 720 is no different than a 730 besides the color of the unit. The 720 is black with a silver trim on the front, whereas the 730 is black all over. That's the only difference.

I bought my refurbished 720 for $169.99 with a 1 year warranty. New/Refurbished units from authorized TomTom dealers all qualify for the Latest Map Guarantee as well. Voice command works without problems (works straight out of the box)

If TomTom really told you that you needed a 730 for 730 features, they flat out lied. Of course, their goal is to push sales of their newer units, but the reality is that there is no difference between the 2 units. The fact that TomTom said that to you has me a bit irritated... Blah!

Well now that you have your 730, Enjoy! :) TomToms are great units.
Oh, now I got it, you said GO720 does offer Voice Address Input because you bought a refurbished one and it worked right out of the box.
That refurbished clearly indicates that unit had been tweaked or modified.
Maybe, it (VAI) simply turned on by update new firmware.

WOW!!! I am glad I stumbled across this site!!!

Canderson--- Thank you for your suggestion, one I certainly will follow and abide by. As to a 720, it probably is equally as functional and good as the 730 but it was just my time to cut bait and leave the fishing to others.

Here is an update of where I am today. The seller, a large camera store in NY called me to review my order before filling it this morning. They suggested that I purchase a holder for for the unit even though the TomTom comes with a suction cup to secure it to the windshield. The holder was a little pricey, $35 if I remember correctly. I thought about the low sale price and told them to include the new holder whatever it is.

Next came the great offer to purchase map upgrades at $25/ year......no, not for an up grade but to allow me to purchase upgrades at discount, $25-35 instead of $75-100 for each. Quickly, I refused this wonderful buying opportunity. Next came the pressure to purchase an extended warranty, forgot the price but it was pricey. I asked what TomTom offered for warranties? Was told they did warranty the unit but I would have to return it to them for repairs instead of bringing it to an authorized repair facility. Couldn't see any advantage to this, so another great offer was refused.

Next the final purchase price was told to me and the cost was $330 if I remember. I SAID....... HEY HOW DID YOU GET TO THAT PRICE WHEN YOU OFFER THE UNIT FOR $284 WITH FREE SHIPPING PLUS THE PAD WHICH IS AN ADDITIONAL COST OF ABOUT $35???

I was told the shipping was FREE but there was a $19 or there abouts handling fee!!!!!! :mad:

I have spent toooo many management units searching for this thing and the so i said OK, just ship it. The largest on-line book seller offers the 730 for $299 so my mental calculation of adding the $19 to the $284 felt the price was close enough.

What does all this mean???? Buyer beware I guess. Now I am anxious for the unit to arrive so I can try getting myself lost again to test it. :)

Foggy

Unfortunately, you've fallen victim to one of the online scam outfits. This board and others have threads about their shady tactics, especially any place with 'photography' or a variation in its name.

Anyway, hopefully things will work out for you in the end.

Come anytime for assistance/help/gripes or whatever......

Unfortunately, you've fallen victim to one of the online scam outfits. This board and others have threads about their shady tactics, especially any place with 'photography' or a variation in its name.

Anyway, hopefully things will work out for you in the end.

Come anytime for assistance/help/gripes or whatever......

Thanks DHN for your prompt response. Your right about the scam outfits, but I want to share my experience incase others fall into the same trap. But again, the total price was reasonable. I also understand businesses cannot remain in business if there are no profits. Those who purchased similar units just a short time ago paid much greater than I today.

Keep smilling--

Foggy

My 730 arrived this morning! Busy day with Christmas and other things but this is where I am with the GPS.

I unpackaged everything and of course, not knowing diddly I started off pushing buttons or in the 730 case, the center of the screen along with the power button on the top of TT. I expected the thing to come to life............nothing!

Later after my family commotions quited to a loud din, I took it to my desk top. I followed the steps outlined by Canderson to show hidden files. Next I connected TomTom (TT) via the USB port, the green power light cam on in the unit. Next I viewed My Computer using Windows Explorer expecting to find the TomTom showing up as a disk drive. Nada, ziltch, nothing.

No need to start making folders to store preloaded data from TT until I first can determine if its there in the first place. Could it be something simple such as the battery needs charging before it will come to life even while in a charging state? I intend to leave it on charge overnight and try again in the morning.

Am I doing anything wrong that is preventing me from seeing TT's software? OH, pushing the center of the screen still does nothing to TT. Does not come to life but it remains charging I suppose because the green light remains illuminated.

Foggy

Last edited:
For starters.........charge the unit for 4 hours in the docking station before doing anthing else.

When removed, try turning on again. If no luck then, report back.

For starters.........charge the unit for 4 hours in the docking station before doing anthing else.

When removed, try turning on again. If no luck then, report back.

Thanks DHN. I am going to let it charge overnight. I tried taking it off charge from the docking station ..... still dead. Could be as you stated, just needing a charge.

Foggy

A little late with my update but the unit came on without problems after I charged the battery. I have backup the original files but have not loaded the CD files as of yet. Maybe will get to that today. Have not had a chance to use the TT yet but am looking forward to trying it out.

Foggy

A little late with my update but the unit came on without problems after I charged the battery. I have backup the original files but have not loaded the CD files as of yet. Maybe will get to that today. Have not had a chance to use the TT yet but am looking forward to trying it out.

Foggy

The version of Tom Tom home on the CD is 1.6 - you may want to go to the Tom Tom site and download the latest version 2.5 before you start connecting your device

Mule

The version of Tom Tom home on the CD is 1.6 - you may want to go to the Tom Tom site and download the latest version 2.5 before you start connecting your device

Mule

Good suggestion but if I do log into TT and get this download, will that be counted as my ONE allowed map upgrade? Others suggested that there may be a new map introduced sometime during January so I might not be able to get that upgrade if I use my silver bullet now.

Foggy

A firmware upgrade does NOT count as the map upgrade. You are correct that there may indeed be a new map in January (that would make it about the same 3 month gap as previous maps) BUT do NOT wait till day 30 to try for the LMG if there is not a new map by then. Give yourself about a 3 day buffer to play safe.

Map Up-Grades

As I understand it you can download as many up-grades as they provide in the first 30 days of registering your TomTom.I will be po'd if they charge me to upgrade US Route 34 in Iowa after I have written them informing them that their present information is out-dated!

Well, the time finally arrived! I got tired of finding myself in places where I had no idea how I got there and decided to purchase a GPS. I had simple requirements or at least in my opinion. First, I wanted at least a 4" screen. Second, I wanted street names on the maps. Third, I wanted to be able to talk to the unit.

I posted some questions in another TomTom site for recommendations and I was told that the 720 would work fine. BUT it had to be a new unit rather than a rebuilt unit that now seems to be flooding the market for around $170. I was told that I would need a software update and then I would be able to get the voice command feature to work. Well, I called TomTom and they told me if I wanted 730 features to purchase a 730. I also understand that the operating system in the 730 is different than that in hte 720.......... so I was told by others but that does not make it so. It just adds to the confusion.
OH, TomTom also told me that a rebuilt 720 had the exact same warranties and software downloading features as a new 720.

Anyway, I could not purchase a 720 for the price I wanted to pay in fact the price of a new 720 was/is about the same as a 730!

I purchased a 730! Found a seller who offered them for $284. It is now in the delivery cycle. Hope I am happy with this new toy I purchased a present from me to me!

Foggy

Unfortunately, you are entitled to just ONE upgrade of the map within your 30 day window, regardless of whether more than one map is made available in that time frame.

Since a brand new purchaser (or receiver of a TT at Christmas) would have the 30 days take him or her to about the 25th of January, give or take, along with the fact that, there may very well be an upgrade of the maps from 8.15 (for Go models) in January some time, it's probably best that a new user hold off until just a couple of days prior to the expiration of the 30-days to 'pull the plug' and get the latest map then.

But users should not wait till the very last day. TT's servers have been known to be flakey frequently and if they are down on day 30, the user may be out of luck! :(

Unfortunately, you are entitled to just ONE upgrade of the map within your 30 day window, regardless of whether more than one map is made available in that time frame.

Since a brand new purchaser (or receiver of a TT at Christmas) would have the 30 days take him or her to about the 25th of January, give or take, along with the fact that, there may very well be an upgrade of the maps from 8.15 (for Go models) in January some time, it's probably best that a new user hold off until just a couple of days prior to the expiration of the 30-days to 'pull the plug' and get the latest map then.

But users should not wait till the very last day. TT's servers have been known to be flakey frequently and if they are down on day 30, the user may be out of luck! :(

DHN - does the LMG clock start on the purchase date or the connection to Tom Tom home date? Lot of peeps who got Tom Toms for Christmas could have had them purchased before December from.

Thanks

Mule

Mule has a good question now that the holiday period is here.

I have a couple of questions on map upgrades. Today I installed the unit with two free options. First was the so called Traffic Camera and the second was the map share. The Home page told me that my current map with 30497 Map Share corrections is in use.

I was poking around and found that for a map upgrade I will need an activation or promotion code that TT says is found in the product box or provided by their partners. Well, I looked in the box and found nothing but I did find a bar code on the box that could be the activation code. I did not want to experiment because I am not yet read for a map upgrade. The bar code label on the box is a 12 unit number starting with J462***** 43. Could this be the activation number or do I need to get back to the camera sales where I purchased the unit for an activation code?

Next, does map share provide the same benefits offered in new maps? There was a period where the country was doing numerous new road construction projects but that is not going on here at least in the north east.

Foggy

After reading countless post I pulled the trigger and purchased a refurbished 720 from amazon for about 172.

I called into TT support and upped a scan of my invoice and got the latest map and firmware. people at TT were very helpful, polite and got me off thephone within 5 minutes.

I am very happy with my new toy, it replaces a Magellan 860 that was after 3 years functional but too bulky.

so far the only thing I am disappointed in is the integration of this unit and my iphone, oh well. Minor annoyance at best!

Ask a Question