My email to TomTom.

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Here is an email I sent to TomTom on Sunday. I might have been a bit harsh but I just stated the truth (at least about the POI database)

Ever since the upgrade to version 8.010, the compass no longer functions the way it used to. Now it's just a boring compass that seems to only point North and is very small, where before we were able to customize the way the arrow of the compass would function. Are there any plans to bring this back? MANY users I know have also complained about the same thing.

Another VERY irritating thing is that when you search for POIs, there is a limit of 24 POIs that can be shown. This is another thing which I constantly hear users complaining about. If I want to search for a certain restaurant near me but don't remember it's exact name, I only get 24 of the nearest restaurants near me, but not the one I'm looking for. This is a problem because there are A TON of restaurants near me within less than a half mile range. Some users have been told by TomTom that this is a "feature" but we all agree that this is really more of a "major flaw." I can NOT see a reason why the coding can't be changed to view a number of POIs that a user enters in. Something like "Enter max number of POIs shown" or AT LEAST raise the number of POIs shown to at least 100. 24 is a very low and useless number.

I no longer own my ONE XL, but I will be receiving my new GO 720 in the mail on 10/28/2008, and know I'll be encountering the same exact issues. Customers of TomTom have made it very clear that these 2 things are highly important. I've seen MANY MANY users on many GPS forums return their TomToms for Garmins because Garmins actually support these features.

Can a suggestion PLEASE be made about these two things for future software updates? I'd hate to return this GO 720 just because TomTom refuses to listen to it's customers. You'd have much more loyal customers if TomTom actually listened to its customers rather than TomTom making their own decisions that hurt customers. After all, WE are the ones using the unit to guide us around.

Can these suggestions PLEASE be made or implemented?

I guarantee that if I made a poll online that asks "Should TomTom raise or allow users to customize the amount of POIs shown when searching"? 99.99% of the people would answer YES

Thank you for your time

Here is their response (as usual)

Dear Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support regarding your suggestions about the POI search feature, and the changes made to the compass. We are always happy to help.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We frequently use customer feedback as an initiative to add or change device features. Your comments will be forwarded to our Product Management Team for review and may be considered.

To stay informed about new TomTom products or features, we recommend that you join our newsletter. For information on how to join the Newsletter, please click on the link provided below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

http://www.tomtom.com/2091

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Patrick

TomTom Customer Support

Speaking out your voice does help. I can recall suggestions that users have made in the past that are available today.

Ask a Question