my dad's TomTom Go 730 has just failed (4th time)

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL IQ2 (XL350)
He first bought one over two years ago, and since then he's had 3 replacements from TomTom as they have kept failing. The last time they said this was the last time they would replace it as the 2 years guarantee is now up (eh wait a minute, guarantee should be for each unit surely!).

So anyway he's going to phone them again and kick up sh*t about it. What has happened is the screen has gone blank but he can still hear the voice. I think the backlight must have gone or something.

Anyway, he's really angry and I said to him he should ask for a brand new replacement - and a current model. Which one do you think he should ask for?

Also is this a common problem?

That's either the worst luck of the draw I've ever heard, or ...

Understand that pretty much the entire range of 4.3" screens is using the exact same hardware. From years watching forums like this one, I'd have to say that the 730 is no more prone to this than any of the others.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something unique about your dad's operating environment.

I'm wondering whether he's always shipped the car adapter back with each unit, or has been running each of the new units off the same adapter he started out with.

Ask a Question