My Android phone has replaced my Go 930

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
Well, perhaps not entirely.

I found and installed a free app for my Android HTC Magic phone. It is called iGO My Way and has the maps installed on the micro SD card in the phone, so it will function as long as it has a satellite signal, just like a GPS.

It supports planning a route to an address or an intersection in a city, but does not support post code destinations. You can also select a place on a map, a favorite that you have saved, a destination in history (you can delete individual history entries or all of them), or a point of interest. The POI set is new enough that it knew about a burger joint near here that has only opened recently.

You can select whether or not to allow planning routes on toll roads, ferries, and unpaved roads. You can select planning for car, pedestrian, and several other choices. It will provide spoken directions in one of a large number of languages - mine speaks to me in Italian.

It shows you a three dimensional map and I believe it includes lane guidance, although I am not sure of that. It is supposed to have traffic camera reporting, but that is another feature I am not sure of. It does recalculate the route pretty quickly when you go a different direction than instructed.

I have my phone setup to play MP3s through my in-car stereo. The GPS app provides directions in a voice-over way rather than interrupting the music. They are still easily understood.

It presently only supports a single waypoint, but I have sent a suggestion to the developers to implement itinerary planning with multiple waypoints.

All in all, it is a pretty amazing app that can do almost all the things I use in my TomTom.

Impressive

I've just checked on my iPhone and the Western Europe version of IGO costs GBP 39.99 with the TT equivalent set at GBP 42.99!

It's good to see Android phones giving iPhone a run for its money. We consumers can only benefit from such competition. However, having been using computers for 40 years, I've seen lots of incredible improvements but I'm still in total awe of my iPhone.

My career was in information technology, Dave, and I am astounded by the capability of my Android phone. The last I saw the Android phones had a somewhat larger market share than the iPhone, but there are quite a few of them sold by the wireless providers like T-Mobile. I suspect that there may be more apps available for the Android phones simply because it is an open platform. I can almost leave my netbook at home now, and this because of a 4 oz. device. Amazing!

Ask a Question