My 940 keeps going to dos style operating system

TomTom Model(s)
940live
My 940 just started to go to a black screen with operational tech data on it, it takes ages to get it to work after that anyone else ever had this? Or does anyone know what to do to correct this please?

Sounds as if the on/off button is stuck on your unit. That (diagnostic) screen is normally achieved by holding the power button till you hear the drum sounds and then continuing to hoold the button till you get to the diagnostic screen.

The process from initial holding the button to diagnostic normally takes at least 15 seconds.

Thanks for that, looking at the on switch it does look as if it is stuck down, any idea how to sort it? can/should I take it apart?

I can't advise one way or the other. Not too techy here .....:(

Others may pop into this thread with good advice.

I have exactly the same problem with the power switch on a Go 940, and the previous one failed in the same way. It's a design fault.

If you take it apart, you'll see the switch depends on two incredibly thin pieces of plastic (one at each end of the switch) which work as springs. The one nearest the pointy end of the switch has probably snapped.

I haven't found a good way to fix it yet.
Whatever you do, don't attempt to put a tiny blob of super-glue on it as it will "wick" straight around the edge of the switch and gum it up solid (as if I'd do such a stupid thing...)

Mine now depends on gentle handling and if that fails a large pin which I use to poke the end of the switch back up if it sticks down.

Ask a Question