Music player failing to play

Hello, I just bought my second TomTom (730T), but seem to have the same problem as before.

The music is loading, and everything seem to work correctly, except from that the player says that there are double as many music files as there really are.
And then the player fails to play half of the songs, but plays the rest. This is really annoying, since the player stalls for about 10 seconds between each playable track, to read the bad files.

There are 348 files. TomTom reads 696.

I have converted the files to mp3 via iTunes.

But what to do?

Can you go into your mp3 folder with Explorer to see what is there? How many files? Do you happen to have a mp3 folder in BOTH internal AND a sdhc card with the same files in each folder (that would cause TT to see double cuz it merges the 2 folders' contents).

Yeah, I use a external memory card. But all of music files are there, and I have deleted all of the others on the internal.

yes, it is. But as said I have always had this problem, is there something wrong about using iTunes to convert files to mp3 maybe?

Other will correct me, I'm sure but Ithink I read something about itunes not converting to true mp3 format. Something like that.

I just chip in my thought, I have a little debate with friends about MAC vs PC, I said I don't like MAC and one of the reasons is .mp3 encoder/decoder.
MAC uses special tool such iTunes to convert and play THEIR own .mp3 while Windows uses more like generic .mp3. Meanings, iTunes mp3 (MAC) can only be played on MAC or with iMAC-alike, it cannot be played under regular, normal, generic players on Windows.
(don't quote on me yet), in OP's case, he has iTunes .mp3 files which will create problem (or may not be played) on his Tomtom. I suggest OP just using some normal .mp3 (files that can play on your PC), transfers them over your Tomtom and see what happens. I strongly thing you won't have such problem with "generic" .mp3.

I just had to format everything to get this working, but then I got another problem!

Every time i connect to my mac or computer the device ask me if want to connect to my computer, so I say Yes. This is where the problem starts, because it goes straight into black, and I need to reset it, to get it connected.

I'd suggest when you do connect (after resetting) that you try the Clear Flash tool found here. Run it 3 times.

If that doesn't help, perhaps uninstall and reinstall the application itself.

copying mp3 file from iTunes on mac to tomtom

If you're having problems with mp3 files copied from iTunes on a mac, it is because under mac 0SX a hidden file for each mp3 is created which can cause problems. If you simply copy folders of mp3's from the iTunes music folder, these hidden files will be also copied.

Each mp3 file will also have a hidden file with the same name but with a "._" prefix attached. Since the hidden file also ends with the suffix ".mp3", the tomtom thinks it's a valid mp3 file, but it is not. This is why the number of mp3 files reported by tomtom is double the actual file count.

The easiest way to fix this is to search the SD card after copying, but set your search parameters to look for hidden files that contain "._" and then delete them from the card. Once you've done that you won't have any more problems.

Charlie

iTunes and mp3s

If you rip as mp3s in iTunes, they will play properly in the tomtom. If however, you rip them as mp4s or apple's lossless format, then yes, you will need to convert them. I have over 40 gigs of mp3s that have been ripped in iTunes and of the several thousand that I've ported to the tomtom, not one has failed to play.

If you're having problems with mp3 files copied from iTunes on a mac, it is because under mac 0SX a hidden file for each mp3 is created which can cause problems. If you simply copy folders of mp3's from the iTunes music folder, these hidden files will be also copied.

Each mp3 file will also have a hidden file with the same name but with a "._" prefix attached. Since the hidden file also ends with the suffix ".mp3", the tomtom thinks it's a valid mp3 file, but it is not. This is why the number of mp3 files reported by tomtom is double the actual file count.

The easiest way to fix this is to search the SD card after copying, but set your search parameters to look for hidden files that contain "._" and then delete them from the card. Once you've done that you won't have any more problems.

Charlie

Thank you!! This worked, but with a little twist, I only found the hidden files on a pc.

Ask a Question