Multitasking with TOM TOM version 1.4 and IPhone 3gs

I have just installed the lastest version of Tom Tom in Australia on my IPhone 3GS with OS 4 running. When running Tom Tom and you excit the program either to take a call or to switch to another app the program stops and does not run in the background. When going back into the app it does not leave off when I left it is opens all over again and run through the motion of finding a GPS signal etc. Anyone out there having the same issues.

I can only think of two things:

1) Are you on the 3G, not the 3GS?

2) Is it really 1.4?

Tomtom app does not exit

I have also just installed the latest update onto a 3GS running OS4 and the flaming thing won't exit. The GPS Unit keeps running and the phone gets hot and drains the battery. The only way I have found to exit is to switch the phone off completely otherwise the app just carries on in background mode and cooks the iPhone. Any one with ideas how to exit without restarting the phone please let me know. Thanks. David

I have also just installed the latest update onto a 3GS running OS4 and the flaming thing won't exit. The GPS Unit keeps running and the phone gets hot and drains the battery. The only way I have found to exit is to switch the phone off completely otherwise the app just carries on in background mode and cooks the iPhone. Any one with ideas how to exit without restarting the phone please let me know. Thanks. David

1) Tap the home button to close
2) This will bring back to the home screen
3) two quick taps will show the running apps, on the bottom (all the back ground apps)
4) hold down on one of the apps and a small red circle will appear in the upper left corner of the icon with a " - " showing in the middle of the circle
5) Press and hold on the little red circle and the app will close out

Also, clearing your route and then pressing the home button stops the battery from draining quickly. I haven't needed to exit.

My guess is TomTom continues to receive GPS updates if you have a route in progress. Not sure if this would also address your issue.

Also, clearing your route and then pressing the home button stops the battery from draining quickly. I haven't needed to exit.

My guess is TomTom continues to receive GPS updates if you have a route in progress. Not sure if this would also address your issue.

Yup, that's correct.

TomTom will continue to route in the background as long as there is an active route. Clearing the route prevents it from doing anything in the background.

I'm also having the same issue as GARRYBU, intermittently.

Sometimes Tomtom will run in the background ie. switch to another application, and then when switching back to Tomtom, it is still running and picks up when it left off. And when in another application, the little arrow is at the top of the screen to show that an application is using background location services (ie. Tomtom)

Sometimes however, it does not run in the background, ie. switch to another application, and when switching back to Tomtom it starts off with the Tomtom splash startup screen as it used to prior to IOS4, and the little arrow is not showing when in another app, ie. Tomtom is not running in the background.

I cannot replicate this in any way. Have rebooted the phone, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't for no apparent reason.

Apps will be closed in the background by the OS when RAM is needed. If TomTom isn't actively navigating a route for you, it can get purged from memory and cause that behavior. This is intentional.

TomTom's RAM usage is actually fairly reasonable (compared to say, SafarI). I'm impressed on that front. But it is still a little RAM intensive compared to some of the really simple apps. It's not terribly surprising it will get purged from time to time on a 3GS, and I've had it purged from RAM a couple times on my iPhone 4 as well.

Ask a Question