Multi-Point Routing

hi nice to meet everyone

I need a GPS unit that can rout Multi-Point Routing or via points. I recently got a job driving a bus (access-a-ride/MTA); unfortunately I will not know the rout until I get to work that day. The company dose not care how I get to each stop as long as I get there at the appointed time and in the order as presented on the manifest. With this said I need a unit that I can input my list of address at the start of my shift and carry me through the day, or at least until lunch when I can add more addresses. The Garmin allows up to ten stops or via points which will work for me, but I want to find out if tomtom offers anything like this options. There are options that tomtom offers that garmin dose not. Before I commit to a purchase I want to weigh my options.

Tomtoms web site dose not offer any information either way about this. should i assume that since the product descriptions do not cover this that tomtom dose not offer a service like that.

thanks for the help

Welcome to TTF. Most TomTom models that do not come with the 'EasyMenu' have what is known as Itinerary Planning. That may work for you. You can add up to 48 points per Itinerary.

Check the link in the this thread:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference.html

for models that have Itinerary Planning.

thanks that spread sheet is full of useful information, you would think the company would add some thing like that to the web site.

itinerary routing seems to be just what i am looking for. 48 stops is much better then ten. that should cover any possible route i end up with. i'll be working entirely in new york, how is tomtom at dealing with big buildings?

One thing to consider though is Itinerary will only take you from A to B to C etc it will NOT optimise a route for the shortest distance when presented with a multi stop trip - Mike

thanks that spread sheet is full of useful information, you would think the company would add some thing like that to the web site.

itinerary routing seems to be just what i am looking for. 48 stops is much better then ten. that should cover any possible route i end up with. i'll be working entirely in new york, how is tomtom at dealing with big buildings?

Some models have what is called EPT this helps in tall buildings.

look here

One thing to consider though is Itinerary will only take you from A to B to C etc it will NOT optimise a route for the shortest distance when presented with a multi stop trip - Mike

no worries, i have to stick to the order of pick-ups and drop-offs as presented in the manifest, so this feature is what i am looking for.

GarCor thanks, i look into that.

The newer multi-routing Garmin units allow up to 100 stops per route, not 10. And Garmin has always allowed at least 50, even on the 3 year old models. You're confusing vias/waypoints/stops with actual routes that include them. Only 10 routes can be active at once, but each can have up to 100 waypoints.

gatorguy thank you for the information. i am new to using gps. i have always relied on a good sense of direction and a knack for reading maps. i started driving trucks in the 1980's. doing so through the late 1990's. when i worked my way through college. after college i was an office manager in a publishing company. with the economy tanking i went back to driving. a kind of comfort zone. the new job doesn't afford enough time to check my map in between stops.

basically my job is transporting disabled people, giving them door to door service. i have to be at each stop or appointment at a specific time to pick them up and then. in the morning i am given a rout with a list of twenty customers i have to pick up and drop off in an specific order. i think but am not sure that the customers have to make their appointment the day before. the method or how i get from location to location is up to me.

some thing like: except with around twenty customers a day.

pick up
john at 1313 mocking bird lane at 10:15 drop him off at doctors office at 10:40

pick up
mary at 1main street at 11:05 drop her off at library at 11:30

pick up
joe at 2500 liberty ave at 11:45 drop him off at post office at 12:10

thanks for the advice.

If you are using a TomTom and must keep the sequence/timing as instructed, not shortest or optimised, I would suggest you make Custom POI Categories by date; e.g. 20100809, 20100810, 20100811, etc. for a week or month ahead at a time.

When you now get your assignment in the morning, you make POIs for the pick-up/drop-offs and put them in the custom category for that day.
You will still need you work sheet to tell you which one will be next but to get there you now only have to tap

Navigate to ..
Point of interest
POI near you (or POI in City; or POI near Home)
Search POI (unless that day's category already on screen -most likely from 2nd one for that day onwards).

Sounds lengthily but is very fast. The most time was spent at entering the POI addresses in the first place which you will have to do in any unit, no matter what make.

I've driven through Manhattan numerous times, and at least with Tomtoms: you NEED an EPT model otherwise you'll get absolutely no signal in midtown.

EPT is only availble on the GO 920 and GO 930 in the USA.

Ask a Question