Moving the map to an SDHC card

So many thanks for the help getting out of my last situation!

minor crisis

I am up for giving it another go :)

I have a 4gb SDHC card, and I want to move the map from my 720 INTERNAL memory to that card.

I subscribe to the Map Update programme, Safety Cameras, and Map Share corrections. I'd like them all still to work.

How do I got about this?

I have a fully working (thanks!) up to date 720, and a blank SDHC card.

Yours, slightly trembling
amjb

Back up your map folder to your PC (always better safe than sorry, right?) Actually, it's best to always have a full backup of the entire unit done this way -- if you haven't already.

Move the ENTIRE map folder from your internal to the SD card. Don't leave a copy behind on the internal.

:confused: I'm new at the workings of the TomTom. How do you move the Map folder from the internal to the SDHC? I have it backed up in Windows Explorer.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated. I have a TT GO 630 (app 8.351 Map 845.2645)

Simply use Explorer to copy the map folder from internal to the sdhc card. Once assured that it is there (with all its contents, of course), delete the folder from internal.

Next stupid question....

The card I was planning on using is a Class 2 card. Is that likely to cause problems? I know the perceived wisdom is the faster the better, but would Class 2 be actually bad (or just a little bit slower than ideal)?

Thanks again.

It may cause problems with slowness of data retrieval by the application. I'd go for a minimum of class 4.

With class 2, you may see a screen refresh so slow that your exit is missed; it could happen, I think.

OK - so slight delay whilst I obtain a class 6 4gb card :)

Now it has arrived, and I have loaded the Western Europe map onto it, and deleted that map from the TomTom Internal drive.

The TomTom works perfectly - no issues.

However, I cannot get the TomTom Home software to behave in a reasonable manner. Here are my steps...

1. turn on TomTom - allow to fully boot

2. plug into Mac

3. select YES to Connect to Computer?

4. wait for TomTom to reboot

5. Launch TomTom Home

I am immediately prompted to download the application. I have been burnt here before, so I say no.

Click Back to get to the TomTom Home main screen, and click the "Get free Map Corrections" button. Error message "not supported for your device or map".

Click "Operate My Go". Inconsistent here...sometimes it launches, but I get no map. Other time I get the message "not supported for your Go". Worked fine when everything was on the Internal memory.

Anyone got any pointers? This is starting to drive me mad!

Thanks
Alastair

When you connect the unit to the computer, the card with the map IS in the unit, right? And only the map is on the card?

And, when Home starts, does it not ask whether you want to select external or internal?

Yes (!) and yes.

When Home starts I have not been offered the chance to choose an install location (unlike last week). However, when I select Manage my Go, I see the SDHC card with the map, safety cameras and map overlay showing.

Try a reset on the 720 with the card in and use a paperclip. Then connect again and see if Home offers a choice of storage locations.

Given up.

If it is possible to run the map on an SDHC card and get Home to update map share on a Mac, then it is beyond me!

TomTom help desk apologised for teling me to buy a card! They said that in future the map sizes are to be reduced, with the extra language speech files removed. This should mean that the six map updates I have bought will not bust the memory. After that I am upgrading!

They were very nice, and even extended my Safety Camera subscription as they said I had been given bad advice when I was advised to get a card last time I had to call the help desk. I thought that was first class customer service.

Thanks for everyone's very helpful suggestions.

Did you try the pin reset?

There should NOT be a problem running your map on a sdhc card (I do here). Don't give up yet.

Also, make sure absolutely nothing is on your internal. Move (using finder) everything that's on the internal to the SD card. Keep the internal completely blank and things should be fine.

Ask a Question