motorola razr charger

has anyone used a motorola razr charger for tomtom 920? I think they are both 5.6 volts. thanks in advance...

If you check the car cigarette adapter that came with the GO 920, it is rated input 12 - 24V output 5V 2A. I you check the Motorola RAZR AC adapter it is rated AC input 110 -220 V AC output 5 V 0.55A. It might be OK to recharge the GO 920 when turned OFF, but not enough output power to recharge the GO internal battery and run the system at the same time. Actually I found the same thing to be true with the USB on my PC, a few times already I ran the GO while connected to the computer and When I disconnect from the PC the GO seems to be able to run for barely 2 hours.... where it is advertised to run up to 4 hours...... Just my 2 cents.

ac charger

has anyone used a motorola razr charger for tomtom 920? I think they are both 5.6 volts. thanks in advance...

I am using the motorola razr charger right now without any problems. It outputs at 5 volts which is the required volts, however as stated above the current is only 550 milliamps, which means it will take a litle longer to charge in the off position.

I am also looking at the apple ipod usb charger which outputs at the correct 5volts and charges at about 1200 milliamps. it is tather unique in that it is small and has a standard usb connector for the usb connection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190184419933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

with this power supply you simply use a standard usb to mini usb cord to supply power to the tomtom

I know close to zip about electronics and was hoping someone could educate me a little about "things electric"....I have a lot of questions to follow....

I Picked up from eBay a no-name charger for my Motorola bluetooth headset. The eBay add stated it would also work for a Motorola Razr, so I know it will plug into the TT. The label on the charger states a wide range for output voltages and amperages. It reads as follows:

output: DC 4.5v-9.5v
220mA-550mA
input:AC 110v-240v

I'm curious, does an electronic device pull only what it needs from the charger, or does the charger provided full power at all times?

Is this charger safe to use with a GO 920? It says it can output up to 9.5 volts. Might it actually try to put 9.5 volts through the TT and ruin it?

I've read in another thread that TT warns not to charge the 920 for more than 2 hours as that will not be good for the battery. Isn't there some sort of cicuitry built into (most) modern devices to limit overcharging? Do TTs have this? And if they do, is it built into the unit itself or into the charging base & cigarette lighter plug?

If the 2-hour rule for charging-limit is actually valid, is it due to too much amperage? Would a higher amperage charger cause the 2-hour rule to need to be changed to a lower number?

At what point while driving in the car, using the TT, with the stock TT cigarette lighter charger hooked up, will you start to exceed the 2-hour rule? What I'm asking is..I'm guessing that the unit while it is being used is depleting it's charge, but at a lesser rate than what it's being fed into it by the charger. So, it's actually getting charged but it's being tempered by what it's putting out at the same time. (confusing to put into words). Can one overcharge the unit while driving?

Last edited:
I would not use that charger. Voltage of a standard usb outlet is 5 volts, if you attempt to use something capable of 9 volts you will likely damage the unit. This would almost be identical to taking a north american item to europe and plugging it into a 220 volt plug.

Current on the other hand is the amount or volume if you use a 550 milliamp charger for a replacement requiring a 2000 milliamp or 2 amp circuit then it would take about 4 times the time to charge it.

When I intially started researching this I found usb plugs, up to 7.2 volts, where as the standard for usb is 5 volts. I choose to stay with the oem motorolla equipment which puts out a specified 5 volts at 550 milliamps.

try this thread for other options

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5878&highlight=tharvey

remember you do often get what you pay for?

I know close to zip about electronics and was hoping someone could educate me a little about "things electric"....I have a lot of questions to follow....

I Picked up from eBay a no-name charger for my Motorola bluetooth headset. The eBay add stated it would also work for a Motorola Razr, so I know it will plug into the TT. The label on the charger states a wide range for output voltages and amperages. It reads as follows:

output: DC 4.5v-9.5v
220mA-550mA
input:AC 110v-240v

I'm curious, does an electronic device pull only what it needs from the charger, or does the charger provided full power at all times?

Is this charger safe to use with a GO 920? It says it can output up to 9.5 volts. Might it actually try to put 9.5 volts through the TT and ruin it?

I've read in another thread that TT warns not to charge the 920 for more than 2 hours as that will not be good for the battery. Isn't there some sort of cicuitry built into (most) modern devices to limit overcharging? Do TTs have this? And if they do, is it built into the unit itself or into the charging base & cigarette lighter plug?

If the 2-hour rule for charging-limit is actually valid, is it due to too much amperage? Would a higher amperage charger cause the 2-hour rule to need to be changed to a lower number?

At what point while driving in the car, using the TT, with the stock TT cigarette lighter charger hooked up, will you start to exceed the 2-hour rule? What I'm asking is..I'm guessing that the unit while it is being used is depleting it's charge, but at a lesser rate than what it's being fed into it by the charger. So, it's actually getting charged but it's being tempered by what it's putting out at the same time. (confusing to put into words). Can one overcharge the unit while driving?

The voltage and current are both important to consider.
You must not use an output voltage different than the the recomended voltage on the bottom of the TTom or phone. My TT says 5V 1A. So the 5.6 V would be ok. Does your new charger have a selectable switch on it. Make sure it is set to the correct setting and even take a volt meter to the settings to varify. I had one once that I had to set at one setting higher to get the voltage.
The amps are different. Try to get a charger at least at or more than the device to be charged and operated. The TTom will try to pull what it needs in current, thus when the tt is low in charge AND turned on, it could try to pull up to the 1 amp max that it is rated. When turned off and charging it is not pulling the 1A as rated on the device.
If your charger is too small of an amp supply a device can try to pull too much and damage the charger if the charger does not have a protection circuit. The charge will feel hot. the 500mA charger is most likely good to charge but would take a while to charge and run the TTom. Conversely the phone pulling 500mA would not be a problem on the TTom car charger.

Ask a Question