More than one Zone at a time?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540S WTE
Hi. New to the forum - great resource. Congrats to moderators and contributors. I have a XXL540S with NA and Europe maps. I have updated to the 850 maps, which, unlike the 835 maps that came with the unit, don't all fit on the device. I know I can switch between 4 European zones, but is it possible to delete the NA map and load all 4 Europe zones at once? I am planning a trip to Europe and no single map zone covers all the countries I plan to visit. Thanks in advance.

I think the entire European map is 2.2 gigs and the World Traveller has 4 gigs internal storage.

Don't try anything without a complete Explorer backup.

I, too, have the same model and, as I remember, Home was prepared to download 2 different European zones (think the east is small) at the same time while still keeping the NA map loaded.

But you'd have to check in Home as to which countries are covered by which zones such that the both maps you require may be able to be downloaded at the same time.

So, if you DO want to try to get the whole European map:
1. Make that Explorer backup.
2. Then use Explorer to move the North American map off the unit and into a folder on the computer, leaving your original full European map installed.

Then try for the full European map update.

BUT.............

There is another issue. When 'lifetime updates' don't mean that......

Others report that they get the updated North American map ok but TT refuses to give the lifetime update to the European map installed.

HOWEVER...........

If you're trying for the update via the LMG, then possibly the method I described will work.

Something else to keep in mind............

If your current maps are not 850 and you just got the unit, be aware that 855 maps are due for release within the next week or 10 days, so you may want to wait if that's still within your 30 day window.

Thanks for the reply and the great info. I don't have the lifetime maps, so that shouldn't be an issue. As for map versions, the unit came with 835, which I updated to 850 using the Garantee. I still have 2 weeks left on the Guarantee, is it worth the 10+ hours of downloading and installation to go from 850 to 855?

Sorry, but you only get one kick at the can for the LMG. If you've used it to get to 850, you can't use it to again upgrade, this time to 855.

No right answer. I highly doubt the 855 map is going to have much improvement over the 850 for our neck of the woods, but you never know........

Ask a Question