Mobile phone doesn't switch from data back to voice

Hi, all! I did a search for a solution to this problem but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a new TT 510 and use my Bluetooth-enabled Sony-Ericsson Z520a (Cingular) with it. Everything works fine until the TomTom accesses the data connection to pull traffic data. When the data pull starts, the cell phone/question mark icon appears, which I initially thought meant the Bluetooth connection between the TomTom and the phone had gone down. This puzzled me because the traffic data pull usually completed successfully.

Then, from digging through forum discussions here, I figured out that the icon means that the mobile phone handsfree voice services are not active, not that the connection to the phone is completely gone. I also found a reference that says the expected behavior is for the TomTom to automatically reconnect voice services when the data session is over.

However, mine only reconnects automatically about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time, I have to manually reconnect, which is a hassle. Is this normal? Could it be related to the model of my phone, or is there something I can do to alleviate this?

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome to the site danno. ( I wanna say book 'em Danno) :)
I don't use traffic or a cell on my ONE but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. I also would like to thank you for trying to search first before posting. Shows excellent forum etiquette! Though this time it did not prevail for you....

This is a great site to find all kinds of info for and about your TomTom device. enjoy and someone soon should be able to help! (Sorry I could not)

Danno,
I haven't seen this problem occur with my phone and 910.
Will this is completely strange, i would try to delete your phone from the unit and repair it back.
report if there is a change or none.

Danno,

A few questions...

1. What is the expected behaviour of the phone when BT DUN is in use and it receives an incoming call?
  2. What are you BT advanced seeting options on you TT?

I don't believe most phones can use voice and data simultanously...therefore the TT recognizes your handsfee connection is not needed and only uses BT for data...if however an incoming call arrives depending on your phone at adv. settings the DUN may drop and pickup the call re-establishing your handsfree BT connection.

Danno,

A few questions...

1. What is the expected behaviour of the phone when BT DUN is in use and it receives an incoming call?
  2. What are you BT advanced seeting options on you TT?

In the advanced options page I set it to not do voice and data simultaneously. (I did try the other setting and data did not work at all.)

My expectation would be that it disconnects voice when it needs to use data and reconnects voice when it's done using data. That's what I'd like it to do, and once in a while it does do that. However, it seems to not be reconnecting for voice after the data session is over most of the time (the question mark icon stays on the screen). Reconnecting manually (main menu - mobile phone - connect to phone) makes the question mark icon go away.

I haven't tried calling or sending an SMS to the phone while it's in the question-mark state. I'll try that.

Thanks,
Dan

I have a Cingular 2125 (aka HTC Tornado). It runs Windows Mobile 5. When paired with my TTG510 in DUN mode, it will stay that way unless I either place or receive a phonecall. Even when I leave my vehicle and the TTG is suspended, the phone does not switch out of DUN. I don't think this is the fault of the TTG but rather the tethering implimentation of the phone. It's also a bit annoying since I have some background apps on the phone that need to make their own GPRS connections and when the phone is in DUN-tethered mode, that can't happen. I generally now make a quick call to my voicemail system (speed-dial 1 on my keypad) right after I leave my vehicle. I actually don't even let the call go all the way through. I just hold down the speed-dial long enough for the phone to realise I'm trying to place a voice call so it will terminate DUN mode.

Hi everyone...
I have the same exact problem too. I have the Go720 and it is paired with a Motorola SLVR or L7.

If I set the Tomtom to automatically update... even if I set it to update every 20 minutes the traffic on my route... the phone does not go back to regular handsfree mode for what seems like more than 5 or 10 minutes & the phone still displays GPRS is active. or I can manually put it back by making a quick handsfree call... but that is just annoying to have to do every 20 or 30 minutes after the GPRS traffic updates.

If I set the Tomtom to just update the traffic when calculating the route, the phone never seems to go into GPRS mode, and the Tomtom does not display the what should be the expected latest update time.

If I hit the update button manually however, as soon as it is done... it goes right back to regular handsfree mode which is what it is supposed to do in all of the above cases... but it is just annoying to have to always update the traffic manually.

I tried to explain this to a Tomtom customer service rep... and they just seemed somewhat confused.

Any fixes to this? Maybe Tomtom may soon have a software update to fix this soon... maybe if they are out there following this thread.

I was thinking maybe the new RDS reciever that can plug into the Tomtom could be an easy solution?

So I was playing around with the TomTom Go720 today and noticed a few things. So it turns out that with my SLVR, when the TT traffic is set to automatically check the traffic server (and I selected to check it no more than every 30 minutes) it does seem to go back to phone mode... in what seems like 3 or 5 minutes. However, by doing this, it runs into issues when using the handsfree function, such as issues with calling, dropping the bluetooth connection all together, then when it reestablishes then the GPRS activates again to update the traffic which all happens more often than every 30 minutes.

When having TT traffic just ask for traffic when I plan a new route, it does not seem to update the traffic at all. The Green Dot just slowly transitions from green to grey. To get traffic info, I have to hit the manual update option under the traffic menu. However it then switches back to regular handsfree quickly and without any other incindents. It seems to work best this way, but I hate to have to manually update everytime I plan a new route.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet? Is there a way to just schedule the TT traffic to update every 20 or 30 minutes? So it just flips back to regular handsfree bluetooth quickly and with no problems?

I also have this problem however I have found the following which I think indicates the problem is with the tomtom firmware :-

Let me illustrate the issue with 3 scenario's of which only the 3rd one is the problem I want you to address :-

1)
a) Switch on phone
b) Switch on tomtom
c) Make and receive calls ok
d) Download weather info ok
e) Make and recieve calls ok

2)
a) Switch on phone
b) Switch on tomtom
d) Download GPSQuickFix info ok
e) Make and recieve calls ok

3)
a) Switch on phone
b) Switch on tomtom
d) Enable Traffic and allow it to download info ok
e) ? Symbol displayed next to phone - no longer connected.

I recently bought a Go 920T, hoping that general TMC reception in the area would have improved since I last used TMC with my Garmin. Apparently it has not.

I'm looking into TomTom Traffic as an alternative, but am experiencing this same issue with my Motorola i580 (Nextel) after doing a weather update (that's the only Plus service I have right now). Following weather updates I've actually had incoming calls ring on my cell phone when it's supposed to be paired with the TomTom.

With this problem persisting (for me at least), I'm leary of spending the money on a TomTom Traffic subscription. But if the use of TomTom Traffic is going to keep the phone in tethered data mode for the duration of my trip, that's likely to be a deal breaker in and of itself.

Is it actually the case, that it does this? Has the behaviour changed in later firmware releases?

Ask a Question