Missing N. America Map Solved after 8 hours and 5 support reps

So here is my story that I thought someone might appreciate it. After downloading the latest quarterly update to the North America Map on my 920, I ended up with Guam instead of North America. So I called support first thing this morning and the support rep simply had me delete the guam map from my device and re-download the N america map. But even though it showed as being installed into my GO 920 the only map I could choose from was Wester Europe - the pre-installed map.

So called again, rep #2 had me do basically the same thing, except delete the map from my documents as well and re-download. Didn't work

So called again, rep #3 reset my Tomtom page, had me re-download again. Didn't work.

So called again, rep #4 formatted my gps, had me re-download again. Didn't work and so that rep declared my GPS dead and there was nothing I could do.

But I was confused about how my gps could be dead when the western europe map worked fine and so did the guam map when it was first installed.

So called again. rep #5 first asked me if I had an SD card in my GPS. I said Yes. He said remove it. I did and GUESS WHAT!!! After 5 reps and 8 hours, my GPS is not dead after all, and furthermore, there was my North America map!! Apparently, at some time in the past, I had installed the application onto the SD card that was an older version than the application on my internal memory and for some reason it was taking over and preventing me from seeing my map.

So check your SD card boys and girls if your problem is similar to mine. i was told to only install voices and mp3's on the SD card, nothing else.

Thanks so much for your feedback. All of us learn through the experiences of others.......

Not defending TT Customer Support, trust me, but I'm as guilty as the next when it comes to offering help; namely, sometimes I (we?) can't see the forest for the trees.............. and miss offering solutions that should have been obvious.

Appreciate the fact you hung in there.

I completely agree with dhn. Thanks for hanging in there and thanks even more for relating the incident so we can learn without "butting with our own heads" so to speak.

Ask a Question