Missing Features

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
I tell you. After switching to TomTom from Garmin (my Garmin was stolen) there's a feature that the Garmin had that I would love see implemented in the TT, besides the ones that I saw already in this forum (hard to cancel route, no auto power on, doesn't switch day/night view automatically, etc...)

When using the Garmin and I entered an address or POI; after it navigated me to the destination it would announce "You've arrived at "location" (location being sounded out) on left (or right). While I know that all I have to do is look left or right to find what I'm looking for (and I know where I'm going), sometimes it's difficult here in SoCal. It seems there are strip malls everywhere and it hard to see and find all the addresses and businesses. Narrowing my search on a busy street comes in handy.

There might be more, but those are the ones I long for. Don't get me wrong, I think the TT is a better choice, just miss those features I mentioned above. (plus Jill's attitude when she had to "recalculate" was interesting.)

I have wondered why the TomTom doesn't do this. I still have my Garmin streetpilot i5 and like that feature. Now, if the tomtom only had the POI base and ease of the Garmin ...

My wife made the same complaint.

I showed her that when you're approaching your destination (like when the TT says "In 1/4 mile you will reach your destination"), if you look at the TT screen you can see an arrow head pointing to the right or the left. This is how the TT shows on which side of the road your destination is located.

I agree that, since the TT knows this information well enough to show the arrow head, that is should verbalize it. But at least it shows you on the screen.

Regarding your complaint about the One 3rd Edition not automatically switching day/night color schemes, do a search on the third-party app called Suntime. It will give that function back to you.

Where on the TT screen will you see the arrow head? And does that apply to all TTs (including the One XL-S)?
So far, I haven't had the chance to use this in an unfamiliar area, but I could see this being an issue in a busy metropolitan area...

unfortunatfly the arrowhead pointing right or left is under the checkered destination flag and almost impossible to see. In fact, I had not noticed it until it was pointed out in an earlier post on this site.

unfortunatfly the arrowhead pointing right or left is under the checkered destination flag and almost impossible to see. In fact, I had not noticed it until it was pointed out in an earlier post on this site.

That's not the way it is on my One 3rd Edition. The arrow head points right or left, and the checkered flag is also on the right or the left but behind the arrow head. The arrow head is not blocked by the checkered flag.

Is it possible that you're zoomed out too far?

hmmmm....not what I'm seeing. I'm at the standard zoom it sets for itself and the arrow is always under the checkered flag. mine is a one second edition I think.

Here's what I see. This is navigating to a favorite. same for any destination.

Attachments

• dump688292322.jpg
    dump688292322.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 319
There many things that are turn offs compared to Garmin, but I learn to deal w/ them.

1. The use of the word "motorway". I don't think anyone in the US uses that term.

2. Yards instead of feet. I think the only time we use yards is in American Football games.

3. The first letters of all the POIs are Uppercase and the rest are all lowercase. Example: Papa john's pizza.

4. That + symbol in front of all the phone #s.

5. All the restaurants are all lumped together. No sub categories for different types of food. (i.e. Chinese food, Thai, fast food, etc.)

6. The supposedly American voices that still sound like they have a British accent. I think they got British people to try and do American accents or something.

7. I hate that you have to go to so many different menus to do things.

8. I miss being able to see the distance of a POI in real time. So I know if I am getting closer or further from it.

9. It would also be nice to know when it recalculates your route in case you missed a turn by mistake or something. I know the Garmin verbally says "Recalculating". TomTom will just recalculate w/o saying anything and just continue giving you directions so you may end up taking a longer route instead of just turning around.

Not that big of a deal, but I think TomTom should have done better research when they started selling in the US.

People like familiarity. Hopefully when they have a new batch of TomToms they'll Americanize them. :)

Anyway...ever since I found this website I've began to like my TomTom.

Last edited:
Going to have to play around with it again... Mine just dead ended on the street with no left or right... I'll try it in 3d view as well - obviously I am missing something... (Nothing new, mind you! :) )

Regarding your complaint about the One 3rd Edition not automatically switching day/night color schemes, do a search on the third-party app called Suntime. It will give that function back to you.
Does that work with the latest firmware release? From reading the post and others it seems that any modifications to base software will eliminate some new features.

Does that work with the latest firmware release? From reading the post and others it seems that any modifications to base software will eliminate some new features.
It's built-in with the TT920. Some one just pointed it out to me in another thread. It's in the Brightness Preferences. Only accessible when not connected to your computer.

No, a custom menu will remove some features, however you can add most of those features back in with your custom menu.

And do a search on MenuTT, which will allow you to toggle back and forth between your custom menu and the default TT menu, on the fly, without connecting to a PC.

Anyway, I use Suntime on my One 3rd Edition, and I like it a lot. I also have a custom menu, and use MenuTT to gain access to anything I lost due to the custom menu.

This all applies to the One. Since you're using a 920, none of this info may be relevant.

Ask a Question