Miles VS Kilometers

Hi guys, i have a tom tom 3rd edition and everything works great except i can`t seem to get the voices to navigate my directions in Kilometers instead of miles, while it does display Kms, the audio does not.. I live in Canada where the metric system is the norm so Kms would be my first choice of preference. I have tried different voices, my option is set at Kilometer, i even did a hard reset and chose UK English as option when setting it up.Am i missing something here or is this unit stuck with miles only option. I would really like to hear from some of you with advice on how to fix this.

Thanks Guys In Advance

You should be able to use kilometers. UK English probably won't do it since they use miles over there.

Do a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

When you say a 'hard reset', are you referring to holding the power button on your model for 15 seconds? (unless your model has a dedicated reset hole). Both methods describe a 'soft reset'. Retuen to factory defaults is a hard reset (where you lose all your custom settings .... including units of measurement setup).

Try the clear flash tool found here. Download and run it 3 times.

If the reset doesn't help and the clear flash doesn't help AND you do have an Explorer backup, then use Home to remove all voices. Then use Home to add Voices again, after your measurements are set for kilometers.

Hi. I'm a newbie too but I just had a flash... Could it be because you picked a UK English COMPUTER voice? I would try other voices as well to see if it changed anything. Come to think of it, I picked a US COMPUTER voice and it gives me directions in meters and kms...

Just a thought.

JF

I've got a UK voice (Jane) and she certainly uses m and km. I believe that when I got my GPS, the default voice did not use metric, only mi and yards. Try a different voice and see if that helps.

The default settings was the hard reset i have done. I have backed up my tom tom 3 ways.1= Home2 backup, 2= copied everything from directory folder to separate folder, and 3= going into my computer and then properties and choosing backup files on this volume.I have Win XP Pro so i`m guessing when you say use explorer as a backup "dhn", this is the option ??. I read that i should use the U.S voice " Lori " as my default and that it should work. I haven`t yet tried it but i will give it a go..
Thanks Again Fellas :D

Ask a Question