Microphone not listening

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Well everything was working on my 720 before my vacation last week and I did a quick map update before I left. I have App 7.481 and map NA715. Well on my travels I found that my microphone was not listening to me - so I did a pin reset and still no change in results. When I got home I used the Flash Tool and did another pin reset - still no change in the microphone hearing me (the lips and circular bar in the right corner have color but don't show any sound level). I have also noticed that Record Voice and Enable Rerecorded Voice are grayed out - I don't believe they were grayed out before. Any suggestions?

Use Explorer and make sure your North America map folder on your unit does indeed contain a bunch of csspeechxx.dat files.

Also, check that your asr folder contains a file named support_asr.dat with just a 1 in it.

Thanks DHN - did as you suggested and found that the support_asr.dat file had been changed. It no longer had a 1 in it, but a bold I. So I replaced the file with a backed up file and the voice recognition works once again. Funny how a map update would change that file. I still have both the Record Voice icons grayed out - any suggestions there?

Pedro2nr - ?? "Fix from Here" ?? Are you saying, pin reset - flash tool? Sorry, just don't understand your advice.

Thanks for the link! I looked and searched for information on Record Voice - but came up with nothing on grayed out icons or how to make the two icons active. Any other suggestions.

Perhaps this........

From the backup where you got the asr file, copy ALL the contents of that folder to the asr folder on the unit. Do an Explorer backup of your unit first. You may need a pin reset.

Thanks DHN - did what you recommended including pin rest. No change still grayed out Record Voice icons.

Thanks DHN - did what you recommended including pin rest. No change still grayed out Record Voice icons.

Do you have a computer voice selected? If not, try that and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you may want to try the factory reset choice.

try the fix from here
Thanks for the link! I looked and searched for information on Record Voice - but came up with nothing on grayed out icons or how to make the two icons active. Any other suggestions.
This is funny. I had typed a reply, giving the instructions as per the pictures on the here link but wanted to make sure I would give the right sequence before the start of the web instructions and to my chagrin found out that not only did I not have greyed out icons, I did not have any at all but had the Itinerary icon on screen 2 and 3.
I looked around but couldn't find anything.
Switched off HOME (I rarely do) and the 930 to go and make supper.
Coming back I decided to make a pin reset and took the unit out of the cradle.

I answered an off list query which necessitated me to use HOME and check for their Computer voices screen.
Going in the sub menu past the other options I noticed that the note icon on the Music options was greyed out and wondered why I hadn't seen an option for that on the TomTom.
Switched on the 930, went to the Voice preferences, played around with 'Recording' but decided not to go through with it.
Going to screen 2 on the Main menu I see the the Music icon instead of the Itinerary.
I also see that the mobile phone icon is not greyed out any longer.
I let the two recognise each other, imported my phone book and tried/succeded to have the 930 make that hands free phone call. (I an starting to take a shine to the remote control.)

Coming back to this thread, still open in Firefox, switching on HOME and connecting the 930 to the computer, the penny finally dropped.

For weeks I hadn't used the unit on its own to plan any routes, just made some new POIs and only went to places for which I had POIs.
These funtions do not work through HOME, they only work with the umbilical cord cut!

Yes, I have Susan installed and selected as my computer voice - she is working correctly. Question - Factory reset - what should I suspect to have to change back after going this route?

Yes, I have Susan installed and selected as my computer voice - she is working correctly. Question - Factory reset - what should I suspect to have to change back after going this route?

If you have favourites set, they'll be gone (but can be recovered by copying back to the map folder the file MapSettings.cfg from a backup). You'll have to reset things like time, etc. Your home location can be restored with the Mapsettings.cfg.

But....to be sure, are you clear what Arno is saying? In other words, are you seeing the greyed out icons while the unit is docked or are they greyed out while the unit is on but not docked?

Yes - I understood, icons are grayed out while out of dock. I first noticed it when I was on vacation away from my computer. I'll try the factory reset tomorrow and will make a backup of mapsettings.cfg file, Thanks

Thanks - the "factory reset" did the trick. The "Record Voice" icon is no longer grayed out. This is such a wonderful site, with great info and support. Thanks to all that helped.

Ask a Question