Messing with your TomTom applications

GAW

TomTom Model(s)
There seems to be an issue in this forum with this subject. This is NOT the same as loading hacked maps, so it should be open to discussion.

I was tempted to fiddle with the live 8.4 apps on my 920, but I will loose traffic (VERY important to me in SF bay area), and not be able to use the Live traffic adapter. As for discussing this in this forum - if anyone thinks it is inappropriate, on devices like GPS, cell/PDA , DVRs, cameras, etc. - THAT YOU OWN - you are entitled as the owner to load, modify, etc. anything you want that is not otherwise copy-righted and only legally available for a price. In the case of TomToms, this includes free third party applications and TT apps - but does NOT include hacked maps.

There should be no issue with trying different apps. I tried quite a few on my old 910 with mixed result. If you want to mess with it and accept the possibility you could brick it (less likely with TT's then with the other previous listed devices) - it is your right, and the discussion of this in the open should not be an issue.

While it's almost impossible to brick your device by simply loading different versions of NavCores, we can't really be responsible for others when they screw up their device when trying to load an application, especially when it doesn't belong to that device.

I loaded this NavCore with absolutely NO issues the first time around, but we can't guarantee the same will happen for others. 90% of the time when something goes wrong, it is user error.

TomTom Forums is here to help others with the way the device is supposed to function by all legitimate means.

And GAW, while this NavCore is extremely awesome, you won't be able to use your traffic since this NavCore was meant for devices with LIVE services, therefor the only 2 methods of this NavCore connecting to any type of data services are TomTom Home and LIVE services. I don't use Traffic so this isn't an issue for me.

Last edited:
GAW...

The only issue as I see it is if the application one tries is legitimate (available from TomTom) or not. The version 8.203 that many of us tried was a legitimate application that some of us with stuttering problems used as a resolution.

There are those who hack applications (and maps) and make this hacked stuff available on underground sites. The main reason is for people to download illegitimate maps and make them work. That's called stealing. It is that stuff we don't wish to be involved with, encourage, promote or allow links to.

A user is free to do with his electronic appliance as he (or she wishes), of course. But allowing discussions here on where to get such software and how to hack one's unit infers we condone those actions. We do not.

Remember way back in the day when it was discovered that the inclusion of a simple text file would allow VR to be implemented in 720s? That kind of information is quite permissible. The necessary files were already on the unit and the user had to be at a certain map level to make all the pieces fit, anyway.

That's how I see it.

This has got me interested:

1/ A live "Traffic addaptor" is this an accessory or built in to the PND, if its an accessory where did you purchase it from and does it work? The way I read your post is that you are using a HD Traffic receiver in the USA which seems a little strange.

2/ Navcore 8,4? do you have the numbers correct and what additional options are you seeing on the screen

OR have you missed out some numbers and are running something like Navcore 8,204 on a 920 device? I might have a dig around at a few server links to see if 8,4 exists but its not something I have encountered - Mike

As someone has defined, this Tomtom Forum is up to discuss and help other members/newbies with their tools, in order to do so (helping), one must use the legitimate NC that released by Tomtom. That's the only way we can help and discuss as a community, get feedbacks, that's not only help the questioners but other members also.
If you use "something else", you are on your own and noone can help.

This has got me interested:

1/ A live "Traffic addaptor" is this an accessory or built in to the PND, if its an accessory where did you purchase it from and does it work? The way I read your post is that you are using a HD Traffic receiver in the USA which seems a little strange.

2/ Navcore 8,4? do you have the numbers correct and what additional options are you seeing on the screen

OR have you missed out some numbers and are running something like Navcore 8,204 on a 920 device? I might have a dig around at a few server links to see if 8,4 exists but its not something I have encountered - Mike

We are not mistaken when we say we have version 8.410. It gives us all of the features of the x40 series such as Voice recognition for the entire device. The thing is that if you or anyone decides to install that version of NavCore onto your device, we cannot provide support on these forums.

We are not mistaken when we say we have version 8.410. It gives us all of the features of the x40 series such as Voice recognition for the entire device. The thing is that if you or anyone decides to install that version of NavCore onto your device, we cannot provide support on these forums.
Speaking of users loading unofficial navcores to try getting features of the x40 series is anyone using v8.332 WORK?

Not to promote unofficial navcores but it is within this topic and is an official navcore from TomTom.
It is also suppose to have the most things enabled for the x20/x30 because it is for them unlike things like the mentioned 8.410.

You will get a x40 styled interface minus the x40 only features such as voice control (microphone icon).
Notes:
Home will try and have you upgrade to the newer 8.351 that does not have the x40 icons
Also there is no Home emulator plug-in
You get the useless Work button in the Menu
You will loose the Instruction over FM

Here are the links:
8.332.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO-WORK.cab
8.332.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO-WORK.cab

So GAW I think using this WORK release will let you mess around with a x40 like interface and also let you keep your traffic.

I don't use any plus features so can't confirm but like I said it is not really for the x40 line so does not use the LIVE feature so in theory should work.

You may want to try it out and report back.

P.S. I think you should start be using the x30 cab

Last edited:
I was thinking on why most people may legitimately start seeking an unofficial navcore.
Here are some reasons I have seen:

1. Back when we had stuttering with the official x20/x30 that was a very good reason.
(In other words if the official navcore does not perform adequate enough)

2. Trying to gain extra features like DHN pointed out may be another.
(It may not always be the navcore but a missing file that is responsible as DHN also pointed out)

3. A person wants a new user interface/theme (button/image set)
Speaking of these themes here are what the ones I know about look like
x40 Day........................................ x40 Night

x30............................................... x20

xls

What would really be nice is if TomTom would update there documentation of the TomTom.mnu
Maybe they could show us how to access these themes using the TomTom.mnu or let us customise the menu's background colors.

Just like we have map color schemes that we can create and share it would be great if we could share menu schemes and themes.

I would also like if TomTom would specify what is the accepted image format for a TomTom.mnu
as anyone who has tried to create a back arrow has found out it does not show up as created.
In other works I and others have not been able to reproduce a perfect copy as the size/colors are changed.

Whilst it is possible to add your own icons to a custom menu they don't display very well at all on the 720 due to the icon surround messing up the image, I did quite a lot of work trying to get this working last December but gave up in the end as the result was suboptimal, I have all the icons on the PC if you want to PM me your e-mail I will zip them up and send them over, I might even still have the custom menu text I created - Mike

mikealder,

Nice to see that other people have tried.
Maybe we all need to demand/ask for updated documentation from TomTom.

Thank you for the offer but I don't need it.

I have created a custom TomTom.mnu and have lots of icons to go with it.
Problems are my icons were also suboptimal nothing like TomTom's.

Also as you are already aware TomTom stopped the menu documentation with navcore version 6.
Even then they never provided an supported image documentation.

So sure a person can move some menu items around like Clear route with the custom menu but because a total lack of any new Task Item documentation a person also will also get reduced functionality with new features that are not documented.

AFAIK only the HelpMe and MapShare parts of the application no longer work when a custom menu is compiled and these functions are not contained within the application (like all the other ones are) so my guess is these functions are called in a different way. Although getting at the Traffic menu on a Live device is also troublesome.

I very much doubt TT will be very forthcoming with any information on this since they have dropped all support to the SDK and seem to fromn upon any messing around with the devices in way of customisation - This could be due to inexperianced users messing up their devices then contacting TT support to rectify the device, or they suspect third party applications are messing up the main Navcore application - Mike

Even though, Tomtom is still far better than other competitor in term of flexibility :)
There's always something they want to leak out and something that they don't, pretty much like they playing game "go ahead and figure yourself out how to do" :D
Just a little note, with GO9x0 series, HelpMe and MapShare can be called via alternative ways such QuickMenu and Browse Maps.

mikealder,

Yes you are correct that things like the HelpMe and MapShare parts of the application no longer work when a custom menu is used.

However, you can't access the voice menu either and I also think a few others are substituted
you can access TASK_SET_VOICE There is no TASK_MENU_VOICE so you can't change any options on the fly you can just select a voice.

The Multimedia menu TASK_MULTIMEDIA also does not work
In the emulator, It does on the device
Sure you can access some of the sub parts like TASK_DOC_BROWSER

However, as I do recall I was doing all of this testing with my SD backup with the emulator plug-in
as I had to send in my 730 to get repaired as it lost the ability to acquire a satellite fix.

Perhaps, I should try again now that I have a running device.

I also fail to see how a custom TomTom.mnu would cause inexperienced users to mess up their devices.
Perhaps if they added unsupported buttons for their unit like flip screen or disable EPT they could cause trouble.

Last edited:
AFAIK only the HelpMe and MapShare parts of the application no longer work when a custom menu is compiled and these functions are not contained within the application (like all the other ones are) so my guess is these functions are called in a different way. Although getting at the Traffic menu on a Live device is also troublesome.

I very much doubt TT will be very forthcoming with any information on this since they have dropped all support to the SDK and seem to fromn upon any messing around with the devices in way of customisation - This could be due to inexperianced users messing up their devices then contacting TT support to rectify the device, or they suspect third party applications are messing up the main Navcore application - Mike

I'm using a custom menu for my Trip Master icon and still have my HelpMe! and MapShare icons.. so.....:confused:

sageuvagony,
Are you sure you are using a custom TomTom.mnu?

I know for example using the 3rd party TomPlayer that you can add the icon to the end of default menu.
Wolfgar is not using a TomTom.mnu to add TomPlayer.
So you would still have the HelpMe! and MapShare icons and are not using a custom TomTom.mnu.

sageuvagony,
Are you sure you are using a custom TomTom.mnu?

I know for example using the 3rd party TomPlayer that you can add the icon to the end of default menu.
Wolfgar is not using a TomTom.mnu to add TomPlayer.
So you would still have the HelpMe! and MapShare icons and are not using a custom TomTom.mnu.

Ahh you're right. I just noticed that there wasn't a mnu file in there. But all I did was peek in the folder and this happened next time I booted up my tomtom :(

dump567523759.jpg

Ask a Question