Max Altitude for 910 Usage

TomTom Model(s)
910 w/ v7.10 maps
Hello.

Does anyone know the altitude range or max altitude that a 910 can be operated?

The 910 has a hard drive, but I don't know what type. If the hard drive is a spin disc drive, like computer drives, it probably has a max altitude that it can be used, before damaging the unit.

If its a solid state drive, it should not affect it.

I am planning a car trip out west this spring where I will encounter altitudes of 9,000-14,000 feet.

This would not apply to airplanes, as they are pressurized.

Anyone know a safe range? Anyone used a 910 in these ranges?

Thanks
Randy R.

I think that low temperature (sub 0 type) or high temperature, even moisture would be more of a problem that the altitude with the hard drive in the GO 910. My 2 cents.

The 910 has a standard laptop hard disk and I think you should have no problems since lots of people use their laptops in airplanes flying at 10000ft or higher.

Here's a photo of the hard disk in my 910.
HardDisk.jpg

I think that low temperature (sub 0 type) or high temperature, even moisture would be more of a problem that the altitude with the hard drive in the GO 910. My 2 cents.

Since Zerimar says it is a disc drive, it will have an altitude limit. FYI to 910 owners: Here is a quote from a popular PC site. "hard drives are more sensitive to altitude than most components and can fail when operated at altitudes over 10,000 feet".

I had known this from my PC tech experience, but did not know what type of drive the 910 actually had. Some drives can operate at higher altitudes. Its still possible that the 910 drive was designed to do so. You would think that they took that into consideration when designing.

Airplanes are somewhat pressurized and you do not get the effect of the actual altitude. Thats why you can operate laptops with out problems.

Randy R.

as you can see in this doc http://www.unc.edu/~bmoc/tomtom/Tomtom Go 910 Dismantling Manual.pdf it is indeed a HDD. The specs from Toshiba are attached. I found this text in a Wikipedia article regarding why operating at too high an altitude isn't recommended.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk

The HDD's spindle system relies on air pressure inside the enclosure to support the heads at their proper flying height while the disk rotates. An HDD requires a certain range of air pressures in order to operate properly. The connection to the external environment and pressure occurs through a small hole in the enclosure (about 0.5 mm in diameter), usually with a carbon filter on the inside (the breather filter, see below). If the air pressure is too low, then there is not enough lift for the flying head, so the head gets too close to the disk, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss. Specially manufactured sealed and pressurized disks are needed for reliable high-altitude operation, above about 10,000 feet (3,000 m).

Attachments

• MK2008GAL Specifications.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 517
Has anyone in Colorado run up against this? Colorado has a number of passes in the 10,000 range, with Trail Ridge Road and some mountain roads (Pikes Peak, Mt. Evens) significantly higher (12,000-14,000+).

I would like to hear from 910 owners who have used their units above 10,000 ft. Either short term (a breif trip over mountians) of on a regular basis.

It would be usefull to know just how much altitude and for what length of time, the 910 can handle.

Randy R.

Is there not anyone that has used a 910 above 9000-10,000 feet?

What about you CA, CO or UT guys?

We are talking about driving in your car, not in a airplane.

Randy R.

Ask a Question