Mapshare won't update

Same experience for me with the GO 720 that I bought and updated yesterday in Sweden.

Same experience for me with the GO 720 that I bought and updated yesterday in Sweden.

Well, I wasn't receiving mapshare updates for a week or so for my 720 so I did what I suggested to another user in a post higher up in this thread and removed mapshare corrections by others and updated again. This time I DID get a mapshare download and the total changes implemented shows 16,000+.

I suspect whenever anybody gets one of those 20 weeks out of date messages, it is simply another example of the TomTom servers NOT communicating properly with TomTom Home. Stick around awhile and I'm sure you'll see Home report other strange things from time to time. It's not you. It's not your unit. It more than likely is just more bad coding.

When you get that out of date message, if you try again a few hours later or the next day, the problem seems to clear up.

Try this: in TTHome, Mapshare-->Select the option to remove corrections by others. Once it is done, select Update contents again.

I had to do this a number (3 for me) to get any update.

Kind of a pain in the arse, to say the least

I got the following from TomTom Customer Support:

"It has come to our attention that our mapshare servers are currently undergoing maintenance. You may have been affected by this.

Due to the popularity of MapShare, We are currently expanding this service's capabilities, in order to improve Map Share performance.

Because of this, it can happen that corrections are not offered even if the map corrections indicator states that there are corrections available. These offline periods do not last long, so if you can't get corrections, please try again later."

This goes along with what dhn says:
When you get that out of date message, if you try again a few hours later or the next day, the problem seems to clear up.

I hate to complain since it appears that the update issue I and others are experiencing is due to improvements they are making on the system. Perhaps I just have bad timing but I've been trying multiple times daily, every day, since I got the unit, all to no avail. I wonder how long long is. A few hours? A few days? I guess I'll just have to keep it up. It's just frustrating because MapShare was a huge reason for me going with a TomTom. I hate having a product that is missing some of it's functionality.

dhn,

I saw in another post on this form you state "If you open TomTom Home and in the menu option Mapshare Preferences, you are led to a screen for which you want the mapshares; it lists each state and Canada and you have the option to select what mapshares you want to receive."

When I do this, my list is empty. No countries, no states, nothing. On the other tab I can see the various POI categories for which I have selected several. I've been wondering if the blank list on the first tab is playing a part in my inability to get mapshare updates. Any idea how that list gets populated? Is it done AFTER you've received the initial mapshare update, or does it have to be populated BEFORE I can receive the first update?

After reading back in this thread, it appears that sonnicgoo had the same blank screen on the mapshare preferences that I did. Now apparently he got an update. I guess I'll stop being paranoid that something is wrong and just be patient. I just wish there were some screen shots available or a detailed article of what to expect while waiting to receive your first Mapshare update. Perhaps there isn't due to this being a relatively new experience. I wonder how long these mapshare improvements have been going on?

Last edited:
ive checked all the boxes on corections except corections by some and i only have 12936 corections,i tried removing all the corections and then installing again and i still get the same number,how come mine is so small and some have over 18k?im in canada if that makes a diference.thanx

ive checked all the boxes on corections except corections by some and i only have 12936 corections,i tried removing all the corections and then installing again and i still get the same number,how come mine is so small and some have over 18k?im in canada if that makes a diference.thanx

Well, I have the NA 710 map and even checked the changes made by some. That may account for the difference in number. And for those saying the country tab data is gone, same for me the last few days.....chalk it all up to issues on TomTom's side.

The fact is, when last both the US and Canada countries appeared and I filtered to show only Canada, I was being offered poi's from US, Holland, Britain....etc. :confused:

dhn,

I saw in another post on this form you state "If you open TomTom Home and in the menu option Mapshare Preferences, you are led to a screen for which you want the mapshares; it lists each state and Canada and you have the option to select what mapshares you want to receive."

When I do this, my list is empty. No countries, no states, nothing. On the other tab I can see the various POI categories for which I have selected several. I've been wondering if the blank list on the first tab is playing a part in my inability to get mapshare updates. Any idea how that list gets populated? Is it done AFTER you've received the initial mapshare update, or does it have to be populated BEFORE I can receive the first update?

After reading back in this thread, it appears that sonnicgoo had the same blank screen on the mapshare preferences that I did. Now apparently he got an update. I guess I'll stop being paranoid that something is wrong and just be patient. I just wish there were some screen shots available or a detailed article of what to expect while waiting to receive your first Mapshare update. Perhaps there isn't due to this being a relatively new experience. I wonder how long these mapshare improvements have been going on?

I have exactly same problems as yours. So, you are not alone. :(
I'll post when I finally got the machine updated.
I bought the machine 3 days ago, so far I've never succeded updating mapshare features. FRUSTRATING.

Well, after all of that, I was finally able to receive my first update today. So, for all of those out there wondering - just be patient. Even if you have never received any updates, just keep trying. As long as you are able to contribute your own updates, you are set up fine to receive them as well. Hang in there and you'll see.

I just updated, and HOME told me I had no internet connection, I clicked OK, then it downloaded GPSFix, and uploaded some corrections from me. No mapshare corrections, on 17142 now.

does this service go on and off on an hourly basis? Since my last post other users have reported the service was on, and I have tried since 9pm and there is still nothing for me to download. Also, how often can I expect to get a new GPSfix? TomTom recommends hooking it up at least once a week to get the latest, but I have had mine for almost a week and I only saw a GPSfix update on the first day I got the unit.

I also haven't been getting any mapshare updates for a while. I'm using US & Canada Map v715. In HOME it's telling me that my map is up to date with 4711 corrections in use.

Well I called tech support the other day. The woman I spoke to had no clue about the product she was trying to support. I told her I was having issues with MapShare and after some talking she tells me that I am not eligable for it because I bought the unit about 6 months ago. Turns out she thought I was talking about Map gurantee. Basically all said and done she stated there is nothing that can be done and it actually the units are being updated but the software isn't showing it.

The other day I was using my TomTom to get my self from my house to another location and I was traveling on a highway that has been in existince for approximately 10yrs and low and behold my One XL shows i am driving on nothing. :mad:

Teleatlas maps are pathetic. I can't wait to get a new GPS with Navteq maps they are SO much better.

Ask a Question