mapshare not available

Mapshares are updates to the map you have installed with corrections made by others including blocking/unblocking streets, renaming of streets, etc. See more information here:
Types of Map Share? corrections

You won't easily be able to tell what changes were made in a specific download of a file since changes may not affect any area around where you drive.

Mapshare updates are now working for my XL350TM. No change on the device or HOME. it just started working ....

mine started working also i got mapshare update and now it saids map up to date and it saids 2 updates were put in
i do have a question in the settings of mapshare in tomtom home i have it set for high and what i was wondering how to set the select poi categories everything is uncheck by defelt should i leave it like this or should they be check

My Go740 with the exact same mapshare settings on 855.X maps has 168 updates. Still at least it's working now.

My Unit updated a couple days ago, so it looks like thew problem is being solved.... good deal :)

XXL540TM...Some of the last messages indicated this is solved, but I have just tried my first download of mapshare and got the infamous "20 weeks...corrections temporarily not available" message.

I =am= signed up for mapshare (I confirmed that).

I fear the problem remains--and here it is Jan 2011. Maps are 860.3121. Not impressed.

just purchased a xl350-tm and updated to 860.31.21 maps. i get message that the maps have not been updated in over 20 weeks but mapshare is unavailable

I had the same problem MONTHS ago, and after checking the internet and finding no working fix, I gave up and continued using my GO730....after a few weeks of use, I decided to try the Mapshare update again, and this time it worked, and is still working fine....so by just using the unit, something updated within the files and allowed the Mapshare to work on it's own, but sorry, not exactly sure what or why, but after research, I found that a mapserver.dat file had been created since my original backup, and I know it is one of the files responsible for Mapshare updates. Perhaps someone can provide a virgin copy of this file to apply to our maps when required to jumpstart Mapshare updates??

And why doesn't TomTom fix this issue which has existed for months now? Silence from them.

Do they really care anything at all about the existing installed base, or are they focused totally on selling new units?

I found that a 'mapserver.dat' file had been created since my original backup, and I know it is one of the files responsible for Mapshare updates.

Hmm? I just checked both of my backups for existence of that file and can't find it anywhere. One of these backups was with map 855... where mapshare was working, the other backup is with map 860... where mapshare is not yet working – so didn't expect to find the file there if what you say is true. How did you figure out that file is needed for mapshare to work? Just curious.

Thanks.

Rick - have a look in your N.A. map folder for a file called MapServerPatch.dat, not MapServer.dat. It's the accumulation of MapShare updates from previous connections.

Rick - have a look in your N.A. map folder for a file called MapServerPatch.dat, not MapServer.dat. It's the accumulation of MapShare updates from previous connections.

Yep, that file is there on both backups... the one with the 860 map is tiny since shares are not yet working.

I was just curious as to the statement that 'mapserver.dat' was needed to have mapshare working.

Thanks.

I was just curious as to the statement that 'mapserver.dat' was needed to have mapshare working.
I was, too, since I'd never heard of that file on any TomTom device. As I say, the MapServerPatch.dat file is the accumulated changes of prior MapShare updates. You'll see that file grow as subsequent updates are added to it. The file isn't required for the service to work. In fact, as shipped, the file doesn't even exist yet on a TomTom (no updates!)

Same problem here right out of the box with the 540TM. 860.3121 map and since I just installed it, it automatically updated to the current version of Home, 2.7.6.2056. I was fiddling around with it, learning the software and trying to see what I could do to fix the message.

I noticed that no countries are listed under the Mapshare preferences, countries tab.

I went in to manage extensions from the Tools menu. I noticed there was an extension for Mapshare. It said it was installed on my computer, not the device. I uninstalled it and the message went away. Then I clicked update to try and reinstall it but it's nowhere to be found now. There are no "Available Extensions" to load. Don't know if I fixed it or made it worse, but the message is gone. Since I just installed it, there may not be any mapshare updates for me. I'll keep watching for any updates but the message is gone.

It appears mapshare continues to be offline for the 860.3121 map.

Mapshare was enabled for other 860.xxxx maps (for other models) weeks ago, so I don't know what the hold-up is.

Yup. The NorthAmerica_2GB map (860.3101) already has 1956 changes against it as of this evening, "Trust" level set to "Medium".

I noticed that no countries are listed under the Mapshare preferences, countries tab.

I went in to manage extensions from the Tools menu. I noticed there was an extension for Mapshare. It said it was installed on my computer, not the device. I uninstalled it and the message went away. Then I clicked update to try and reinstall it but it's nowhere to be found now. There are no "Available Extensions" to load. Don't know if I fixed it or made it worse, but the message is gone. Since I just installed it, there may not be any mapshare updates for me. I'll keep watching for any updates but the message is gone.

I went through the same experience earlier, I reinstalled Home and the extension was restored. Still no countries listed, though.

Last edited:
I tried MapShare again this morning....and it worked! I didn't do any re-installs or any adjustments....It just worked today.

Brand new XL-350TM, Mapshare not working; software complaints

Apparently this problem hasn't been fixed yet. I just got a brand new TomTom XL-350, updated the maps and program, and got the same message that everyone else has been getting, about the maps not updated for 20 weeks and the mapshare corrections temporarily unavailable.

By the way, I must say that the TomTom home software has a lot of issues: First of all, it did not install automatically when I plugged it into my computer(perhaps a windows 7 issue), I had to download and install the software manually. And while I was eventually able to update everything, the program froze several times while I was using it.
Second, every time I plug in the TomTop, a windows dialogue box shows up indicating that there may be data errors(I forget the exact wording), and asking for me to scan for errors. It never finds any, but this happens every single time I plug it in, including the very first time. This may be a Windows 7 thing, but I find this annoying, and it really should be fixed.

Also, 5 hours really is excessive for updating the maps, even though it's a huge file. I have downloaded movies and such way faster, and there is really no excuse for TomTom not investing in faster servers. At least let me download the maps to my computer first, so I don't have to carry the unit everywhere I take my laptop for 5 hours and worry about it getting unplugged.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find that recessed, right-angle USB cable very difficult to unplug?

It would also be nice if after I enter the activation code for lifetime map updates, the icon would change to confirm that the lifetime maps were activated. Since it continues to show 'enter activation code', there is a lingering doubt about whether I successfully activated it(it won't let me use the code again, so I guess it worked, but still...)

Finally, what the hell is the point in having tons of voices if none of them can read the street names? There's gotta be a way to use a human voice and also use the computer voice just for the street names. That just seems like a no brainer I knew about this flaw before I bought it, but this still seems ridiculous.

Ok I lied, one last complaint: The only way to use the compass is to turn off several other display items, like speed indicators! Why can't they put the compass somewhere else, like the corner of the map? Sure technically a compass isn't that much use with a gps, but sometimes it really is helpful to know what direction your car is facing. I would just buy a seperate one, but they all break(analog or digital, I've gone through many car compasses and I'm lucky if they last more than a year...)

Ok, I'm done complaining. Maybe, just maybe, someone from TomTom will see this and consider making some changes...

Some say that running chkdsk X: /f (where X: represents the drive representing TomTom) from a command line stops the scan & fix error message.

Five hours is extremely long for the download and install of the map, even on a 1.1 usb compliant unit. What is the connection type of your computer and is it directly connected (preferred) or wireless?

Ask a Question