Maps & SD Cards

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Before I upgrade my map, I have a few questions...

1. If I put the map on an SD Card, can I upgrade to the larger and more detailed 920 map of North America, or are the two not compatible?

I ask because I could swear reading somewhere that there are some with 720's that have 920 POI's.

2. I have have the map on the TomTom and some additional POIs on an SD Card, is the TomTom able to read off both or do I have to pick a drive path?

The issue is that you may only be offered the NA_2GB map, despite the fact you have a larger storage area available. Perhaps call support at 866-486-6866 for assistance.

All poi's must reside in the specific map folder so splitting them between 2 storage areas won't work.

I should mention that when I dl the 825 map on Saturday, I also tried copying over the larger poi.dat files I had available. Home would not work properly with the larger files installed though the unit itself was fine with them.

Before I upgrade my map, I have a few questions...

1. If I put the map on an SD Card, can I upgrade to the larger and more detailed 920 map of North America, or are the two not compatible?

I ask because I could swear reading somewhere that there are some with 720's that have 920 POI's.

2. I have have the map on the TomTom and some additional POIs on an SD Card, is the TomTom able to read off both or do I have to pick a drive path?

1. I never use SD card and internal memory together but AFAIK, GO720 does work with SD and internal memory simultaneously. Assume of whatever on your internal memory, you can load new, bigger, more detail maps on your SD card.

2. For some reason, I don't thing you can switch back and forth between SD&internal memory for POIs used, but I may be wrong.

2. For some reason, I don't thing you can switch back and forth between SD&internal memory for POIs used, but I may be wrong.
POI files must reside in the same folder as the map to which they belong. Wherever you have the map you are currently using, the POI files must be there as well.

However - say you have NA in internal and W Europe in SD, if you switch back and forth between maps (Manage Maps), the POI files change right along with the maps.

maps on the sd card

Just one thought for those who use a sd for other maps along with your units internal memory. Try to find and purchase a SD that is slight faster the the base SD care. You will find it searchs a little faster. Not much but jjust a little. The difference in cost is almost nothing now days between different speed cards. And you definately don't have to get the super fast cards like for photography, just the next step up.

The issue is that you may only be offered the NA_2GB map, despite the fact you have a larger storage area available. Perhaps call support at 866-486-6866 for assistance.

All poi's must reside in the specific map folder so splitting them between 2 storage areas won't work.

I should mention that when I dl the 825 map on Saturday, I also tried copying over the larger poi.dat files I had available. Home would not work properly with the larger files installed though the unit itself was fine with them.

Thanks,

As you can probably see by my updated signature, I ended up going with the 720 map upgrade instead of asking for the 920 from customer service; I'll just do like so many others have and manually add the 920 POI database.

Interestingly enough, Best Buy does sell updated map download codes; but for some reason, TomTom has decided not to sell their maps on SD Cards in North America as Garmin does.

Just one thought for those who use a sd for other maps along with your units internal memory. Try to find and purchase a SD that is slight faster the the base SD care. You will find it searchs a little faster. Not much but jjust a little. The difference in cost is almost nothing now days between different speed cards. And you definately don't have to get the super fast cards like for photography, just the next step up.

As an FYI to those interested in in purchasing or upgrading SD Cards, Best Buy has their 8 GB PNY Class 4 cards on sale right now for $24.99 USD and their 4 GB PNY Class 4 cards on sale right now for $14.99 USD.

I see the 825 poi files are slightly larger than the 815 files:

825.2157 - poi.dat = 193,526 KB and crpoi.dat = 145,291 KB

815.2019 - poi.dat = 189,547 KB and crpoi.dat = 129,102 KB

Mule

Ask a Question