Maps on SD card for Go 825? (was "Hello")

TomTom Model(s)
Live 825, One XL
I have just registered! We upgraded recently to a Live 825 and I do need some help... 4 years ago we purchased a map for the US which was stored on a separate memory card. Our new TomTom has got a memory slot as well, so we got a 4GB sd card (after some thorough research) but I cannot copy the US map to the new sd. I have formatted the sd and it's showing just under 4 GB of space when connected to My TomTom. Inserted into a card reader, however, it's showing: TOMTOM.000 2.15GB and TOMTOM.001 1.81GB and when I try to copy the map from my computer to the card, I am getting the message: not enough space.
Any ideas? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid you're onto a loser there....

Ever since the big lawsuit with Microsoft, TomTom have had to use a totally different format and filesystem on their new models, both for the internal memory AND SD cards, so every card gets formatted for special use when it's inserted in the TomTom.

The users (us) have no way to see what's on the card except as those numbered files you've seen, and have no way to add stuff to the card themselves.

Now, as for the map itself... if it was purchased as a download, and YOU put it onto an SD card, it will have been "locked" to the unit you downloaded it onto anyway. So you'll never be able to use it with the new device.

But if you bought it on an SD card from TomTom, then it is locked to the serial number of the card itself, so can't be copied to another card.
I would have THOUGHT that an original map card should work on the new device, but it's a situation I've not seen crop up before with these new models.

P.S. As we've gone beyond the "introductions" stage into a quite interesting topic, if it's OK with you, I'll move this topic into the "general TomTom" section of the forum where more people may see it.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, Andy. I had my suspicions, but wasn't quite expecting that! Not happy! :mad::mad:
Please do feel free to move this thread! thanks again!!

Actually, if I had had an original card from TomTom, it would not fit the 825 anyway as they've changed the size of the memory card. I bought a cheap Sandisk SD card but TomTom sell a 4GB card as well for around £17.00. So I assume I would have wasted even more money as it wouldn't accept any stuff either!?

The file system format on the older vs. newer devices is quite different, and there is no way that a map issued on an SD (or uSD card) will be forward or reverse compatible between them.

I wasn't sure if the facility had been retained to still READ original TT map cards, but after looking further, I think you're right canderson.

I trawled the TT websites for maps for sale on SD card (eg here) and none of them are said to be compatible with any new models.

More dissatisfied customers!

Thanks for all responses! So how can I obtain a US map for the 825? I am not really prepared to splash out again for something I have already paid for - cheek! Considering that I have already paid for a new device which wasn't cheap! There must be a way for "loyal" TomTom customer to download an item previous purchased on their website. Will have to contact TomTom.

You'll need to call CS at
0845 161 0009 or 020 7387 5444

and explain the situation. They may be able to refund the cost or offer the proper map on your account. Don't know.

Just spoke to TomTom customer service. They were telling me that the old map is not compatible with the 825 - we know that. The 825 has a totally different platform and the only way to get one's hands on a new US map is to purchase it from their website (£34) and download it onto the sd card. After all "I have had my use out of my US map I purchased in 2008". They I am pretty disgusted! It's not made very clear on their website. Incidentally, the 825 takes sd cards up to 32GB and the sd card apparently is future proof - they won't change the type of card...

I would like to ask another question re memory card: is it a micro SD or SDHC that the 825 requires? I can' t find a SD card (non HC) with a larger memory than 4 GB. Any advice which one to go for?

The 825 uses a MICRO-SD card, but AFAIK all normally available micro-SD card are SDHC technology.

Ask a Question