Maps for Individual U.S. States?

TomTom Model(s)
One
How can I install maps for individual U.S. states to install on my TomTom One? My device does not support a memory card, and the entire internal memory is only 400 MB or so, so that even if I removed the UK map (that's what I use at home), it still wouldn't fit the full USA map. For my upcoming trip, all I need are the maps for Illinois and Indiana. But I can't figure out how to get just those.

I know that it must be possible, as I have California installed as its own map. But I put that on years ago, and now I don't remember how I did it!

Any tips gratefully appreciated.

Tomtom used to sell maps of individual states. No longer. The best you can hope for is a zoned map. See here:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12356/kw/zoned%20maps

There are many versions of the ONE model. What one do you have? See here for how to identify:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/c/2355

And, if you do purchase a map of USA, you can achieve a zoned map. See here:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12911/kw/zoned maps

BUT....... use Home to purchase the map, not the map shop.

Hi, thanks so much for the links. To answer your question, I have a TomTom One 3rd Edition. I tried going into Home to buy a map zone, as you suggested, but nothing from North America is listed at all... though plenty of other maps are (France, etc). So I don't know how to find it...

Ah .. I'm guessing you have a 512MB ONE 3rd that was a regional model (serial number starting with Y3 or Y4). Those were sold with just the UK/ROI map.

@dhn
I wasn't aware that TT was providing zoned maps of North America as yet. Confirm?

The zoned maps are for 1GB devices.

Tomtom no longer sells any USA maps at a state level, so you couldn't purchase maps for a 512mb device.

Tomtom sells the Start for around $100 at many retailers in the USA. That cost only a bit more than the USA maps. You could just buy a new Tomtom when you arrive in the USA.

That's something I'd like to familiarize myself with, then, but not owning a small memory unit, how would I go about seeing this on the TT site? It would be good to be able to see the zoning regions so as to be able to talk intelligently about them with users of the older units. On the US site, when I pull up something like a One 3rd, it assumes that I have a 2GB unit -- at least it offers me the full NAM map.

If I enter "Y3" as the first two of the serial number (to force it to a UK regional version of the One 3rd), then it offers me no full or 'zoned' NAM maps, but offers Canada/Alaska and Mexico separately. I believe this is what the OP was seeing as well, and was why I did not believe they were yet offering zoned NAM coverage.

Ah. OK. At least they're visible somewhere.

Now, how the heck do we get TT to offer up zoned maps for a "Y3" or "Y4" model unit?

My UK XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition uses zoned Europe maps, Chris.
Want me to do some screen grabs of the process to change zones?

No, that's not quite the problem, Andy. What I can't access (and neither can the OP, evidently) are zoned NAM maps for the small memory model ONE 3rd. When using the site, you specify your unit type, and are offered the maps that TT feels are available for that unit. For the Y3 and Y4 models, TT offers no USA coverage at all, much less properly zoned ones ... at least that's what happens when I try from here. So it's not the 'procedure' that's at issue, it's whether the NAM zones are being offered to the OP in the first place.

Yeah, realise that...

I just thought you said you'd never seen what it looks like in Home when you DO get offered them.

In Home, I know what the European situation looks like and how its done, but had never realized that they had finally got the NAM zoned as well. dhn's url finally showed me some NAM zoning. I suppose we could make inquiries elsewhere as to why the OP isn't being offered any NAM zones for his ONE 3rd.

I suppose it's possible that not even zoned coverage fits on a 512MB unit, but that's not a problem for European zoning. Have they made our zones too big, or just forgotten to provide them to those with these 'regional' sized units?

Guess we'll have to investigate a bit further, but it would be good to know -- even if too late for the OP, for future users.

Zoned maps for the USA are 1GB at the smallest. The purpose of zoning in the USA is to fit maps on 1GB devices that were sold in the USA, since the total USA map has now reached over 1GB.

Tomtom never sold 512mb devices in the USA, so Tomtom hasn't felt the need to support zone mapping that small.

Tomtom did sell state-level maps back in 2005-2008, mostly for those who wanted to save the cost vs buying the entire USA map (maps were very expensive back then). But they have been discontinued, and now the 1GB zones are the smallest sold.

Odd. They fractioned Europe so that 512MB UK users could manage, but didn't offer them the same benefit for travel here. Well, guess that answers that!

Ask a Question