Mapping current location as fav fails

Hi,

I did a search but did not find a similar issue for my 920T.

I like to mark airport car rental locations as favorites (to return the car). I have tried two methods - the quick link map location as favorite and the add favorite, current gps location.

I find this fails about 90% of the time. It either stores a point that is not navigable - e.g. when I try to go back to that point it says "no route found" or if I use the quick link option it says that there is no gps signal, even though it is showing 5 bars.

Today, I marked Louisville airport via the mark gps location option in add favorites. When I try to route is is offering a route to Pittsburgh, where I live.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

If I'm traveling and have to do that, I'll usually go to the nearest intersection (that the TomTom recognizes) and set that as the favorite.

That said, most of the time I'll load the data before I leave (hotel, client site and rental car location) just to ensure that I have them and they work.

If I'm traveling and have to do that, I'll usually go to the nearest intersection (that the TomTom recognizes) and set that as the favorite.

That said, most of the time I'll load the data before I leave (hotel, client site and rental car location) just to ensure that I have them and they work.

Another idea is to just navigate back to the airport (under POI) and follow the signs to Rental Car Returns. (This is what I do - I've never thought about making it a Favorite.)

Looking for fixes for the glitch

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, the rental car signs do not always work (e.g. San Antonio where there were multiple road closures and no detour signs)

Mapping the address ahead of time works if you can find it listed. However, I am wondering why the gps won't operate as designed. If it is at a gps location it should be able to map that location as a favorite reliably. I have no confidence that if I go to an intersection that it will map that point. I end up finding out when I go to route back and then it is too late.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

The tomtom cannot navigate to any spot that is not on a road. any favorite saved that is in a parking lot, at the end of a long driveway etc will show up as "no route found" when you try to go back. It's a problem tomtom needs to address.

Another idea is to just navigate back to the airport (under POI) and follow the signs to Rental Car Returns. (This is what I do - I've never thought about making it a Favorite.)
Believe me or not, this is a very smart, strong method when traveling on the road. As I said many time, we just simply can't depend/rely on the gps 100%.
Drive smart!
One example, when Boston Big freaking Dig project was on going, roads/ramps to the Logan airport constantly change EVERY day and nite. Driving with gps is useless.

rrogers44 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, the rental car signs do not always work (e.g. San Antonio where there were multiple road closures and no detour signs)

Mapping the address ahead of time works if you can find it listed. However, I am wondering why the gps won't operate as designed. If it is at a gps location it should be able to map that location as a favorite reliably. I have no confidence that if I go to an intersection that it will map that point. I end up finding out when I go to route back and then it is too late.

Thanks for your help,

Rich
If the area with physically "multiple road closures", then how would you expect the gps knows/predicts the route for you?
NONE of the GPSs on the market (both high-end and low-end, from all gps MFGs) will be able to plot a good route (unless you subsribed for traffic).
In the case, like this, drive slow, keep both eyes on the Car Rental signs.
Nothing else you/we can do (unless stop and asking for direction)

The tomtom cannot navigate to any spot that is not on a road. any favorite saved that is in a parking lot, at the end of a long driveway etc will show up as "no route found" when you try to go back. It's a problem tomtom needs to address.
I have not yet tried making a present location a favourite. I do like the idea to get back to the exact spot of the car rental. Construction and detours are really minor impediments when the longest it ever took the 930 to recalculate a map was about 30 seconds.

TT can negotiate to a POI in the middle of a parking lot without roads.
I usually make POIs beforehand and then move to the exact position using Tyre > Edit > Display in Google maps.

This is what a gps does

If the area with physically "multiple road closures", then how would you expect the gps knows/predicts the route for you?
NONE of the GPSs on the market (both high-end and low-end, from all gps MFGs) will be able to plot a good route (unless you subsribed for traffic).
In the case, like this, drive slow, keep both eyes on the Car Rental signs.
Nothing else you/we can do (unless stop and asking for direction)

This is a perfect example of what a gps does. If roads are closed, it provides alternate routes once you fail to make a turn. It will reliably get me there, just by an alternate route. It has nothing to do with traffic, just the standard logic for gps. I could use my old 5 year old Garmin, so I guess there is something else I could do.

If the gps will not accept the current coordinates, it should tell you this. Not bookmark the location then fail later when trying to route to it. Also it should be able to mark driveways and parking lots even if they are not in the db. It uses coordinates in this case, which is its base mode anyway. Then, when routing it takes you to the root road, not the parking lot. I am just asking the TomTom to have.

Thanks for all your responses.

Thanks Flyer. I agree 100%. It is technology that every other gps has. Some even let you find your car in a parking lot, by remembering your last signal.

my two cents on the matter

If you have your tomtom set to find quickest route or shortest distance it won't be able to take you there...but if, say you asked it to find your destination by foot, or bike...it should be able to get you there...and technically as a biker it should guide you via streets...

but if its a big parking lot and theres no streets as a car it thinks you can't drive there...as if it was a park with grass and such...

though I have not tried it, it seemed to make sense to me as I read your problem

Failed Favorite Workaround

I too, have seen Favorites fail when using the My Location as the point to mark.

If I don't map in advance, when I do get to the location I simply go to Help - Where Am I and write down the coordinates and set up the Favorite with them. A minor irritation. I agree with those that have said TomTom should fix this.

One XLS is the model.

This is a perfect example of what a gps does. If roads are closed, it provides alternate routes once you fail to make a turn.

I think that last sentence I quoted is the key here. The GPS can't guess as to why you failed to make the turn (I miss turns all the time when I'm in the wrong lane, not paying attention, etc.). ...but if you mark the road as closed on the GPS or it gets closure information through MapShare, it should be able to navigate around it provided it knows about open roads that will get you there. (if it erroneously thinks other roads are closed, it may not be able to do that!)

I haven't seen that problem on my 920. In fact, I've got a parking lot POI I've added using ("Near my Location") that I've navigated back to more than once. It seems to get the idea that when I enter the location as being on a street corner/intersection that I can get to it from either street. *shrug*

Ask a Question