Mapless - force TT to ignore roads?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 125
I'm enjoying my entry-level ONE unit, but sometimes I do things that aren't on roads, like ride the train. Being a mapgeek, I like to follow along... but of course, that's impossible on the TomTom, because it is optimized for finding your way from point A to point B using roads.

A thought occurred to me, though. TomTom's site mentions overlays that you can put over the maps. What if you turned the entire map *into* an overlay -- and deleted all the route information? Would the unit then act as a raw GPS, with no snap-to features? Would you be able to see your actual position, whether you're on a road, a trail, or a railroad track?

The ideal situation would be if I can modify the files on my unit to eliminate the route information. That would give me an overlay that is just as accurate as the underlying map, without violating TomTom's copyrights.

It sounds too easy. What am I missing? (I'm expecting a long list!)

That is a clever thought, but I think that would be a "tough nut to crack". The "overlays" you are talking about are only applicable in the "browse map" mode. Unfortunately, even in "browse map mode", the unit still locks to the underlying system map road system. The only way I have found to get around this "road lock" is to run some third party software (http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk) that over rides the systems default navigation settings. It is a major pain in the neck, but it can be done. This third party software does not work on all models, and it will not run under the latest firmware update (at least so I have read). An easier way around this is just to invest in a hand held nav unit (Garmin has some great ones) that are not "road locked". You can be anywhere on the planet (or even above it), and still know where you are (or have been) to within about 30 feet or so.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun project. I saved a backup of v7.522, so I may do some experimenting when I get a new unit someday.

Ask a Question