Map Western & Central Europe 2GB v800.1762 update to big for Internal memory?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
Device AK7AA 2SE6N
App 8.351 (9982/090518) OS:315187
64MB RAM (free:12.8MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map Western & Central Europe 2GB v800.1762

Has anyone else had problems with the latest Western & Central Europe map update being to large to fit into the Internal memory or onto a 2GiG SD card? The version 7 quarters ago came with the 730 and worked OK.

Have tried re-formatting and loading minimal files does not work. Even if it did it no room would be left for voices etc.

For the last month I have been chasing my 'tail' on this one, anybody else?

Look at the contents of the Western_Europe map folder on the PC and remove the CSpeechXYZ.dat files (XYZ will equate to a number of countries, each one with its own abreviation) - Leave the GBR one in place if you use the speech recognition feature otherwise get rid of that one as well - this should reduce the map folder size down by just over 200MB - Mike

Cheers, any more that can be ditched?

It's a shame that you do not have a choice of language and countries to install as this would remove a lot of unwanted files.

Regards
Ron

By removing the files though the Advanced Speech Recognition won't work in the countries that you have deleted the files for, its not ideal and there are other files that can be removed from the device such as any LoquendoTTS voices that you don't need (circa 40MB each), the contents of the Raster folder can go as these images only show up when zoomed fully out in browse map mode, finally a good one for storage space recovery is the voices folder, generally you only need one or two voices.

As you are using a 730 though I would suggest the easy option is to purchase a 4GB or even 8 GB SDHC memory card for the device and put the map folder straight on to it. The Go 730 can support storage card capacity up to and including 32GB - Mike

By removing the files though the Advanced Speech Recognition won't work in the countries that you have deleted the files for, its not ideal and there are other files that can be removed from the device such as any LoquendoTTS voices that you don't need (circa 40MB each), the contents of the Raster folder can go as these images only show up when zoomed fully out in browse map mode, finally a good one for storage space recovery is the voices folder, generally you only need one or two voices.

As you are using a 730 though I would suggest the easy option is to purchase a 4GB or even 8 GB SDHC memory card for the device and put the map folder straight on to it. The Go 730 can support storage card capacity up to and including 32GB - Mike

Cheers Mike

In regard to an additional SD card I have a 4 & 8Gig card but object to buying an item and then find it will not work when you update old files without buying cards.

I think it comes under the sale of goods act and item description?

TomTom are sailing close too the wind I feel on this.

Mine has a fault and is being recalled and this is becoming protracted because of Xmas break amongst other things. Have had about 2 hours use in the month since purchase and have spent a lot time with and without Tech. Support trying to sort it out.

Regards

I had this trouble

Sorry if I do something wrong on here I am new to forums
I had the same trouble with my Tom Tom 740 GO and thanks to Tom Tom helpline I wasted a great deal of time emailing back and forth due to being given duff info. I also also wasted the money I paid out for an 4gig SD card to try to overcome the problem.
To cut a long story short, it turned out that when I purchased the update to the maps they assigned the wrong maps for my devise. Eventually after many emails they must have read mine carefully and realized their mistake.
They then adjusted the download to my device and it was fine. However I do think they have slipped up with the size of the maps as I had to agree to remove some items before it would download. For instance only one voice allowed.

Thanks Bob but I gave up and moved the map to a 4gig SD card so I had more room as it seems pointless to have to remove parts of a program just to gey it to fit.

My 730 had to go back and was replaced and the replacement had the map in the internal memory but very little free memory left.

Would have been better buying a 750 which has 4gig of internal memory.

Would have been better buying a 750 which has 4gig of internal memory.

I believe that is a typo on the Tomtom website. The 750 only has 2gig internal memory, so it also has all the "out of space" issues you are describing.

Only the 950 has 4GB of memory, the 750 as mvl points out only has 2GB of memory, if this typo is stil on their web site they really are stupid as I pointed out the error a couple of months ago directly to TomTom - Mike

Looks like the typo is still there along with 2gig max. for SD storage on the 730!!!!!

Ask a Question