Map Updates & Versions... How does it all work?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
Map Updates & Versions??

I just got a TT One v3 last Friday. So far I like it.

It's loaded with the US/Canada maps version 710.1575 & TomTom application 7.161

Here in Chicago, they just opened up an extra 12.5 miles on the south end of the I-355 toll-way extending it down to I-80. This was on November 12th 2007.

This is kind of a huge deal for millions of commuters in one of the largest cities in the country. It was being planned for the last ten years, ground-breaking was 2 years ago, the project stayed on schedule, and the road opened on time 2 weeks ago.

I would expect the companies that keep the maps up to date to be on top of major interstate projects nationwide. Yet reputable public sources like Google Maps/Earth & Mapquest are still out of date.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much... but it's not every day that you get a new interstate toll-way in your city.

My TomTom came with a card that said I was entitled to free map updates for 30 days from the time I start using my TomTom. I've connected to TomTom Home on both a Mac and a PC several times but I have not yet used the "login" function. I also downloaded/installed application update 7.161.

1. So how does TomTom establish the start of the 30-day map guarantee period? I have not yet redeemed my promo code or logged in with the TomTom Home.

2. How often does TomTom release new maps? Weekly, monthly, annually? I have US/Canada version 710.1575... when was this 710.1575 released? Is a new one expected soon?

3. So should I just start my 30-day update period or if it hasn't already started, maybe wait a few months? I'd perhaps risk not getting any updates if the 30-day clock already started.

I've already reported the I-355 issue to both TomTom and their Map supplier Tele Atlas. But like I said, given the fact that this is a major toll-way project, I'd be very surprised if they didn't already know about it or already have thousands of user reports/corrections.

Any insight on how this works is appreciated.

Thank-you.

EDIT: Is there a listing of map update revision numbers and their release dates listed someplace?

Last edited:
I am new to the TomTom forums, so I can only reference what I read elsewhere, but I read that TomTom has only released 1 map update in the last 2.5 years, and the minor point release from 705 to 710 seems to be a step backwards for many people. That said, it could be a while before you see a corrected map. Not sure how the new mapshare will help your situation.

I am new to the TomTom forums, so I can only reference what I read elsewhere, but I read that TomTom has only released 1 map update in the last 2.5 years, and the minor point release from 705 to 710 seems to be a step backwards for many people. That said, it could be a while before you see a corrected map. Not sure how the new mapshare will help your situation.

Thank-you for that information.

But something doesn't seem right... what is the version after the decimal number for then? 710.1575 seems to imply that several smaller updates have been released in the meantime.

Otherwise, one update in 2.5 years pretty much means that the 30-day map guarantee is a huge joke for the vast majority of owners.

I read an article online that discussed TomTom looking to purchase their map supplier and read someplace else that TomTom is moving towards free updates for everyone. Combine those tasty rumors with the fact the TomTom online map store is "closed for remodeling" and you've really got to wonder.

I would expect the companies that keep the maps up to date to be on top of major interstate projects nationwide.
Think worldwide. That's a lot of changes. The mapping companies require government agencies to inform them about such changes. If they are not told about planned changes, they can't add them to their maps.

Yet reputable public sources like Google Maps/Earth & Mapquest are still out of date.
Because they use the same map data, which is out-of-date for the reason mentioned above.

1. So how does TomTom establish the start of the 30-day map guarantee period?
I think it is either from the day that you first switch on your TT, or the day you connect to your PC. I think your clock is ticking.

2. How often does TomTom release new maps? Weekly, monthly, annually? I have US/Canada version 710.1575... when was this 710.1575 released? Is a new one expected soon?
No one knows. I don't know. Possibly, no-one knows.

3. So should I just start my 30-day update period or if it hasn't already started, maybe wait a few months? I'd perhaps risk not getting any updates if the 30-day clock already started.
I think you have already started it. If there is an update, you may already have the latest map.

Is there a listing of map update revision numbers and their release dates listed someplace?
No, not that I know of.

..the 30-day map guarantee is a huge joke for the vast majority of owners..
Actually, from what I have read here, the majority of consumers seem to expect that when they buy a device that left the factory 2 years ago (and that is no longer being produced) it will (magically) have the very latest map on it when they open the box!

I think this is why TT offer the guarantee, so people can always have the latest map. You bought a new device, so you may already have the latest map.

The previous option was no map update guarantee at all.

Actually, from what I have read here, the majority of consumers seem to expect that when they buy a device that left the factory 2 years ago (and that is no longer being produced) it will (magically) have the very latest map on it when they open the box!

I think this is why TT offer the guarantee, so people can always have the latest map. You bought a new device, so you may already have the latest map.

The previous option was no map update guarantee at all.

Thank-you for the answers... they're mostly what I expected. Although I am surprised users haven't been tracking release dates and version numbers of their maps. I just thought this TomTom/GPS hobby was more like cell phones or satellite systems where every insignificant technical detail is known or claimed to be known and discussed online.

I must admit the level of modification possible with this device is very impressive. As is the amount of information posted on this particular forum.... it certainly puts the TomTom FAQ pages to shame.

Since it looks like map updates are few and far between I took the plunge and tried to do a map update. The map version number I posted already seems to be the latest and if my 30-day clock hadn't started before, it's running now.

As far as the I-355 toll-way in Chicago... for all I know this was already reported to the map suppliers months or years ago. I was only hoping to get a sense as to how these more significant changes are normally incorporated.

1. Immediately, meaning new map revisions are released every few weeks or months... like to Google or Mapquest where their business model depends on accuracy. ( Think "major hotels along toll-ways" that pay for pop-up ads or POI's with these online map sites. )

2. or Not immediately, meaning we just wait months, years, or whatever for the next worldwide update.

It seems that #2 is more likely for TomTom from what I'm hearing here.

Oh well, it'll be fun watching the arrow track "off-road" when I drive the new toll-way I suppose. :D

Regardless, we really have a two layered situation here though, don't we?

Layer 1 - The accuracy of the maps at the supplier level.

Layer 2 - How often Google, Mapquest, TomTom, etc. choose to take advantage of the latest available maps from their supplier.

I assumed that "Layer 1" is up to date within reason while "Layer 2" was what I was originally hoping to find out more about.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this TT. Many people are saying, "you get what you pay for" but $105 makes this a far greater bargain than that for an entry level unit. I think I got more than what I paid for so I'm happy... still very curious about modifications, usage, and features, but nonetheless happy.

Thank-you again for your response and confirming some things I suspected.

Last edited:
I agree that the 30 day guarantee is a joke - I just purchased a 910 with map version 650 - when I try getting an update (selecting "map guarantee") it comes back and says I have the latest map. When I called support, they told me that this was an old unit and that if I wanted a 665 version, I would have to send in a receipt showing that I just purchased it - and that had to get approved by a supervisor. The support person I spoke with said there is not a 30 day guarantee and asked me to prove that - I am still looking for where that is located.

The next issue that I have, is that according to the support person, 665 is almost a year old (2/2007). I said that I just purchased this unit and I should have the most up to date maps, which I believe is 710. He said I could purchase that for about $150.00 USD. That did not sit well with me, because I thought I could get the most up to date maps through the 30 day guarantee period, which this person didn't believe existed.

I have read many complaints about the Map service that TT uses and that their maps are out of date compared to garmen etc. I believe that is true and am probably going to take this back and get a garmin. This is unfortunate, because I like the features of the TT910, but with old map data, it really isn't any good to me (there was a 4 lane hwy completed 1 year ago in my area, and that is not in my map).

If anyone can give me solid information on how to get the latest map, I would like to keep this unit, if not, it is going back. I really don't think I should have to pay for the latest maps when I just purchase the unit.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

I agree that the 30 day guarantee is a joke - I just purchased a 910 with map version 650 - when I try getting an update (selecting "map guarantee") it comes back and says I have the latest map. When I called support, they told me that this was an old unit and that if I wanted a 665 version, I would have to send in a receipt showing that I just purchased it - and that had to get approved by a supervisor. The support person I spoke with said there is not a 30 day guarantee and asked me to prove that - I am still looking for where that is located.

The next issue that I have, is that according to the support person, 665 is almost a year old (2/2007). I said that I just purchased this unit and I should have the most up to date maps, which I believe is 710. He said I could purchase that for about $150.00 USD. That did not sit well with me, because I thought I could get the most up to date maps through the 30 day guarantee period, which this person didn't believe existed.

I have read many complaints about the Map service that TT uses and that their maps are out of date compared to garmen etc. I believe that is true and am probably going to take this back and get a garmin. This is unfortunate, because I like the features of the TT910, but with old map data, it really isn't any good to me (there was a 4 lane hwy completed 1 year ago in my area, and that is not in my map).

If anyone can give me solid information on how to get the latest map, I would like to keep this unit, if not, it is going back. I really don't think I should have to pay for the latest maps when I just purchase the unit.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Have you checked the TomTom web site yet??

Everything is spelled out there.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=1&Language=4&FID=6233

Why not call them back and ask for a supervisor? Politely explain that you were treated improperly and you'd like to obtain the 30-day map guarantee as spelled out on their web site.

Thanks for the information - I will give them a call back later today and get back to you with what they tell me.

12/2 UPDATE:

Okay, after spending about an hour on the phone, took about 45 min to get escalated up - they agreed to give me the 675 version - they would not give me the 710 or newer. I was told that the 6.75 was completed in September 2007 - it had the changes in my area, so I am happy. Initially, they were going to give me the 665 version which was done in Feb 2007 and I do not think that had the fixes that I needed.

Last edited:
Partly answering my own question from earlier... I found something elsewhere....

I don't see too much from US or Canada but some here should find it useful.

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6669

This is a list of which map versions were originally supplied with each model...

TomTOm Go Classic - v390 (June 2005) - GB

Tom Tom Go 300 - v562 (June 2005) - GB
Tom Tom Go 300 - v572 (June 2005) - GB Plus

Tom Tom Go 500 - v571 (December 2005) - GB Plus
Tom Tom Go 500 - v605 (January 2006) - GB

Tom Tom Go 700 - v568 (June 2005) - Europe
Tom Tom Go 700 - v606 (April 2006) - Western Europe

Tom Tom One - v605 (December 2005) - GB
Tom Tom One V2 - v660.1199 (September 2006) - GB incl RoI

Tom Tom Update Map v632 (December 2005) - GB Plus

Tom Tom 510 - v650.1046 (late May/June 2006) - GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE
Tom Tom 910 - v650.1052 (April 2006) Western and Central Europe

TomTom Rider - v612 Navteq (June 2006) - Great_Britain
TomTom Rider - v675.1322 Navteq (July 2007) - Western Europe
TomTom 700 - v675.1409 Western & Central Europe map. Downloaded 19.4.07 from TT site
TomTom ONE XL - v675 1430 Navtec

TomTom 520 - v705.1480 (August? 2007) United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
TomTom 720 - v705.1480 (August? 2007) Western Europe

v7.10 Western Europe and UK and Ireland launched November 2007 - For sale from Mapshop and as "Latest Map guarantee" to some ONE 3rd Edition and GOx20 owners (but not me!)

This is from a little research I've done from a few forums. If anyone wants to pin this and/or alter the data to be more acurate then feel free.

Ask a Question