Map Updates for GO 700 (March special)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 700
I have a TomTom GO 700 GPS unit. I received an email from TomTom that would allow one to purchase a one year map update service from TomTom for $39.80 and if done in March, they would give you 18 months of updates (six total with one provided each quarter). I went onto TomTom Home and clicked on ADD MAPS. The site said I had the latest map of NA. However, the map on my unit was Version 645. The new map is eight hundred something. There was a popup that said I had the latest map on my GPS and did I want to get the update service for $39.80 with the March special? Has anyone tried this with an OLD map on the GO 700 unit and it actually updated the map to a new version? This old map is perhaps two to three years old. I was not willing to take the gamble for spending $39.80 and it not recognize the old map. I just thought that there was some others that may have gambled and was wondering if you were able to update to a recent version.

When was the last time you updated the application for your unit? I believe the last one offered is 7.903 and it should allow you to use v8x maps.

Go 700

It was right after getting the unit. Probably two and a half years ago. The unit is at least three years old. I hate to spend $80 to get new maps as a new unit would only be a hundred or so. I was hoping to use the map updates for $39 which would be worth it.

QuickGPSfix

I am sorry that I did not get back as the maps are old on the GO 700 but don't want to try updating till I know the unit is good and working well. We cannot download the file containing the QuickGPSfix info. That file called emphemeris or something similar is not on my computer that we use to update or on the TomTom Go itself. I really would like to get the satellit fix first. Is there a way to force it to download that particular update. I tried updating several times over the last week but the only thing coming down is the safety cameras. I have read some items about certain files that are cabinet files but looked online to see how to even open them and cannot figure it out. Is there a posting out there somewhere that is "simplified" on how to get my unit to download the new files that would allow the QuickGPSfix to work? As you might assume, it takes forever for the unit to be able to pick up satellites.

Best regards, Mick

The map update service usually makes you buy the most current map at a reduced price, plus the next year subscription for the $40. If you don't have to buy the current map, then that's a great price, either Tomtom screwed up their servers or lowered their prices.

To restore quickgpsfix, go to "Manage my GO" in Tomtom home, and remove Quickgpsfix from both the Device and Computer tabs. Then go to "Update my GO" and it should offer quickgpsfix again.

Ask a Question