Map Update Service

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 740 LIVE
Someone explain to me why TomTom will charge you $40 for 4 maps or $70 for 1 map. Are they "skimping" on the Map Update Service maps? Also, why can't I just update when I want to, for $10. (These are just rhetorical questions and not actual questions)

My real question, it says that the "Map Update Service starts with the latest map, so you may have to upgrade your map at a discounted price", what exactly does that mean? Does this mean that if I let my map lapse, then I will have to buy a new map AND THEN the service?

Would I be better off to sign up for this service immediately following my 30 day map guarantee, or wait until a new map is available?

Thanks,
Jon

For a person to take advantage of the subscription, you have to start with the latest map and then you get 4 for the next year at a specific price.

So, to get to the latest map, you have to pay to get there. The 'freshest' your map is, the less the cost (because of the discount) to get to the latest.

For example, a person with a 820 map pays less than a person with a 810 map who pays less than a person with a 720 map.

Why would a person pay more for one map than for four? Probably there is no reason.

Even a person paying to get from 720 to 830 and THEN an additional amount for the next year is still ahead in the long run.

All that being said, before the subscription series, most people did NOT update to get every new map. As a rule, there just weren't that many map changes to compel someone to do so. Once a year, maybe. More likely once every couple of years.

And TomTom knew it........yet, they needed to come up with some method to generate a steady stream of revenue coming in.

The Europeans got the subscription at least 3 months before the North Americans. And, after the initial doubt about 'what's the catch?' realized they were getting a good deal. Four maps for what used to be charged for one.

Finally the subscription came to these shores and many people jumped on it here as well. (The fact that the competition was offering subscriptions by then was also a motivating factor for TT to get the lead out over here).

Anyway, nobody ever is forced to buy a new map and there are many happy with maps a few years old. Mind you, the inclusion of IQ routing in v8 maps and IQ2 with 815+ maps was also a factor in people wanting the maps as well.

As always, it's an individual choice.

Cool, thx for the details.

Sounds like after my 30 day MG, I will subscribe so I don't have to buy a map to subscribe.

Thanks, I woudl have waited till the new map came out to subscribe if it weren't for the clarification.

another ? about map updates

I have not yet purchased a GPS device and am looking at TTs. The question I have is this: do I have to pay for a map update when I first use the device? I'm curious because the device may have outdated maps preinstalled and I don't think I should have to pay for a dated map and then pay to update to the latest.

You are entitled to a FREE update to whatever is the current map for any TomTom model within 30 days of first use of the unit.

I have not yet purchased a GPS device and am looking at TTs. The question I have is this: do I have to pay for a map update when I first use the device? I'm curious because the device may have outdated maps preinstalled and I don't think I should have to pay for a dated map and then pay to update to the latest.

No, you DO NOT have to pay for a map upgrade so as long as the following exist:

1. You can provide Proof of Purchase - Scan and e-mail a receipt to TomTom
  2. It is a BRAND NEW unit - Not refurbished
  3. You are with-in 30 days - It says from first use, but I wouldn't push your luck, I would make sure it is with-in 30 days of purchase.

So as long as those are followed, you should be able to upgrade to the newest map. TomTom updates their maps generally once every quarter... next one due is in August I think.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Ask a Question