Map update frustration

Have you had similar problems?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TomTom Model(s)
Go 400
I honestly wish u had taken the time to stumble across sites like this before I wasted my time and money buying a Tom Tom sat nav.

There is was flicking through the channel and I come across QVC promoting the new GO range, and what a good job they did with the help of the Tom Tom advocate.

Seems good, great deal and good product.

As soon as I unboxed it, downloaded My Drive, my hell on earth began!

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't stupid, I sell and help develop software re for a living, so I'm no stranger to knowing the basics about how things should work.

Well the lifetime map update did take a lifetime to download, or rather, did not download to the device with wasted hours of trying, I succumbed to actually feeling defeated and called the support guys the following day.
First attempt rubbish,
Called back and spoke to another person and was assured they would fix it.
Second attempt, rubbish still no joy,
Next person, rather cocky, fixed it.
Half a day virtually totally wasted time.

Here I am feeling brave enough to do a map update as I am being reminded to do so by My drive.
Oh for f-sake, same crap start sto happen all over again.
Same errors, same wasted time.
now have a totally useless device that j can't use.

Called the loveley QVC people up and they are sending me a returns label, so I can finally send this useless product back and actually get my money back.
I hope QVC actually look to reconsider their affiliation with Tom Tom as I surely can't be the only dissatisfied customer out there.
There has to hundreds of peed off people who have been frustrated with the time it takes to download updates and actually not be able to do so.

Sorry for the venting session, but I would love to hear of any miracles out there, where problems have been solved BUT remain solved later on after further updates?

Harry

Welcome to TTF, Harry. We are NOT affiliated with TomTom. Just a group of users such as yourself.

Yes, some do have problems with MyDrive, the new devices, map updates, application updates and many of those do 'vent' in forums such as this. It's the nature of the beast.

But, keep in mind, people without issues tend NOT to register and post in these forums. Also the nature of the beast.

Wish we'd heard from you earlier. Might have been able to work through the MyDrive issue with you and get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you, but the sheer though of having to do this every time there was a update. Was far too much hassle to out up with.
Products should be click and go and seamless.
I am sourcing alternatives, but thank you anyway.

It would at least be interesting to us to know something more specific about your problem. Was it, by chance, an issue of the download getting stuck at some % ?

The actual download to the computer being the first step took around 45 minutes.
Then when it clicked over to downloading to the unit it kept stopping saying update interrupted.
It did this when I first bought it too.
Did everything that was done first time round with clearing cache etc, but still no joy.
Tried both cabled up and wireless and I have a mega fast broadband connection.

If you reached 100% on the download-to-PC part (step 1), and the transfer from PC to to the unit (step 2) was what was hanging up, the only way we've seen to clear that is to unplug and replug (in spite of what it says) to get it restarted. It's not clear why some units and some USB ports act up. One thing we've noticed is that secondary (front panel) or hub connections are more fault prone than a solid rear apron USB connection.

I too had a similar problem, still working on it as I have time!! retired. but not good enough. Just bought a Smart TV, that worked immediately and updates automatically in about 10 mins. I have found a TomTom will do 1% per Min!! 100% 1hour and 40 mins, ridiculous!
After 40mins it now tells me to use a different computer to complete download, who has a different computer. But, I do have a laptop!!!

After 40mins it now tells me to use a different computer to complete download, who has a different computer.
Don't think I've ever see that message before. Can you grab a screen shot next time?

Don't think I've ever see that message before. Can you grab a screen shot next time?
Hi Canderson, Did just that on my laptop and I now have a working TomTom Go 400. Unable to simulate the screen shot as I have returned the Go 400 to the shop I purchased it from. To much 'Hastle' and it does not allow me to add or edit my POI's. I am now looking for alternatives in the SAT NAV market. Many thanks for your help.

Ask a Question