Map & Traffic Camera Offer

TomTom Model(s)
TT Rider V2
Hi all,

I have had problems that I have previously posted about, with my TTR2 & not being able to 'Operate my Rider' which I never resolved. People & TT told me that if I update to the latest maps then all should be well. I was very reluctant to spend more money to try & get my TTR2 working, as it was advertised to, in the first place. Any way time moves on - now nearly two years later I receive an update offer from TT. This is to purchase the latest GB & Western Europe maps & have the Traffic camera subscription for 40% off the going price.

Against my better judgement I thought, yes lets go for it, as the latest maps would be good. I paid my money; got the email of the order and connected my device to TT Home as instructed, I put a 4Gb SD card in my TTR2 as the original pre-supplied 2Gb card was nearly full. (I was never able to create a back up of this card or transer the contents onto a 4gb card). So, after an age downloading the map & installing everything onto the 4gb sd card in my device i boot up and the TT image comes on for a few seconds than nothing, it just switches off. Plugging it back in to the pc via TT home, I can check & install updates, add poi's & voices etc but 'Opereate my device' & 'Backup & Restore' options both return a meessage 'you cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device'.

Any ideas how to rectify this problem gratefully received :) as I cannot even use it as a stand alone sat nav at present :confused:

Thanks

Pete

Do you have the latest application for your unit? When you connect to Home, are you offered an application update?

Although it should automatically update the application version, you might have to delete the current version (which is?) and update to the 7.901 if you have not already done so.

Others have complained that a 4GB (SD or SDHC) card wont work in the Rider, I am fairly certain it has to be an 2 gig SD card, and are not most 4 gig cards sdhc?....I could be wrong here, but it might be worth a try to install the map on a fresh 2 gig SD.

You may want to consider doing a soft reset first, followed by a hard reset if required.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'll update you to my current situation. My son suggested that I start again by re-formatting the 4Gb card and re-installing TT.

So, I copied the entire content of the card to my pc hdd & re-formatted it. I then put the card in my TTR2 connected to the pc & switched it on. I was offered & accepted the latest application for my device and then checked for updates and followed the prompts. After rebooting, (and a few blue screens from my Vista based pc during the whole installation process), I had a TTR2 that had no updates to do.

I disconnected it and restarted it and was happy when it fired up and thought, this looks different as there were more menu options and all looked fresher. However, when I checked on the map I had on the device & the figure of version 7.9xx was reported. I reconnected to TT Home and it reports my map is out of date & when I go to Add Maps, new ones are available to purchase :confused: My son checked & found the new map download, that I had purchased, so deleted my installed version on the sd card & tried to select the new vesion to re-install, after an age & the odd bsod,(blue screen of death), my TTR2 is again opporational but still has the old map installed:confused:

The plus points to all this are that i) I am successfully using a 4Gb SD card, ii) I have managed to update to the application iii) the operate my device option now works for the 1st time ever :D

Just the small thing of being able to hook up to my new maps, version 8.45 and I will be a very happy bunny :cool: Any ideas, preferably an idiots type guide please :confused:

Thanks once again guys - your knowledge & help is much appreciated.

Pete :D

That is great news, you are finally up and running.

Keep in mind when it says there are new maps to upgrade, it is not free.....

They just released new maps I do believe (NA anyways), so even if you had just purchased the latest map within a day of a new map release, it will now say there are new maps to download.

Say, just to help out others on the forum, its a great idea to put your device, application and map version into your sig line.

I am sure that now you have it alll sorted, you will really enjoy your RR2. I have been very lucky in that I have not had any real issues, and have logged over 70,000km on my Rider2.

Just be sure to create an Explorer based backup, or even copy your card to another one for safekeeping.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses RACS & DHN.

I followed the link and created a new directory copied the extracted files into it using explorer, so much quicker :D, put the card in the TTR2 switched on & hey presto I have: -
App 7.901,
GPS v1.21,
Boot 5.5012,
Map: Western Europe v845.2647

All your help is much appreciated

Pete :D:D:D

Hey RACS,
I just noticed at the bottom of your post that you list 175500 km is that all on your Suzuki? Thats 109,000 miles - if thats all on one bike how much work have you had to do on it, apart from normal servicing?

Actually, it now has 176,200km on it (was out today).

I have not had to touch it other than your normal maintainance stuff...chains, sprockets, lots of tires.

I do all my own work, always have and used to build race engines.

I have yet to have to adjust one valve on it, it is by far the best bike I have ever owned. Been using full synthetic oil since new, changing it every 6K.

I will be hoping to put on another 40K this summer.

Cheers!

RACS, that is impressive - just shows what the engines are capable of:cool:

Getting back on to the thread topic any ideas how I get the Traffic camera option up & running? I have the download for all countries in western europe in my directory C:\Users\Pete\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera

This directory contains approx 26 directories for various countries eg Safety_Cameras_UK_TomTom-1. Each of these directories contain 3 files, the fore mentioned directory contains: -
i) icon-camera (1kb);
ii) Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom (88kb) zipped file
iii) Safety_Cam_UK-TomTom.toc (3kb)

Have I to unzip the file ii) & place it, along with the .toc file, in the western_europe map directory?

Have I to repeat this for all 26 company directories? Or is there an easier more automated way to do this, e.g. thro some option in TT Home?

Again, thanks for any advice

Say, just to help out others on the forum, its a great idea to put your device, application and map version into your sig line.
Cheers!

I have added details in the signature line as you suggested

Pete:D

Ask a Question