Map subscriptions

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
The biggest difference is that TomTom is now offerering a subscription method (through Home 2.4) to get updated maps ....

I like that idea. Never again worry about whether to buy the next map just to have it outdated a week later. ...and with it being an optional subscription, well, maybe I live in a really old neighborhood and streets rarely change so I unsubscribe until I decide my POIs are too old.

Don't forget, the discount is based on how old your map is compared to the current map available.

All I'm saying is that, since I just have 7.10 installed, it's going to cost me more to: a) have to update to the latest (8.10 right now) and then the quarterly costs of updates than somebody who already has the 8.10 installed, or someone who has, say, 7.20 installed.

And, if I wait 8 quarters beyond the release of 7.10 before subscribing, I get no discount at all.

All I'm saying is that, since I just have 7.10 installed, it's going to cost me more to: a) have to update to the latest (8.10 right now) and then the quarterly costs of updates than somebody who already has the 8.10 installed, or someone who has, say, 7.20 installed.

And, if I wait 8 quarters beyond the release of 7.10 before subscribing, I get no discount at all.
As TT's press release today says only 4 quarters. That would mean you can now get a new map every year with a 50 % discount instead of buying a new one every second year.

Hope that is the right interpretation as there seems to be a lot of ambiguity about the subscription part when reading European fora.

The way I see it, and I may be very wrong, you could get a new map every quarter and it will not cost very much more that once a year or every other year.
If a map cost $100, 4 x $15 = $60 versus $50 once a year or $120 over two years versus $100.

If it works that way, most of us will probably go for the quarterly subscription. Pretty neat way for TT to assure a steady, even cash flow.

Interesting concept for sure. I have been poking around, and havnt found where you would actually subscribe. I have the new HOME 2.4, but didnt see anything there. I have a TTR2 with a 715 map.

Cheers

Interesting concept for sure. I have been poking around, and havnt found where you would actually subscribe. I have the new HOME 2.4, but didnt see anything there. I have a TTR2 with a 715 map.

Cheers

From the little I've read, this is for European customers only at the moment. TT is said to evaluate the response and possibly offer it to NA as well. Let's wait and see...

I have been poking around, and havnt found where you would actually subscribe. I have the new HOME 2.4, but didnt see anything there.
I don't know but think the Europeans find it under Add Maps.
A lot of Germans complain that it can only be done with a credit card instead of their usual Bank transfers.

I don't know but think the Europeans find it under Add Maps.
A lot of Germans complain that it can only be done with a credit card instead of their usual Bank transfers.

I did check there, nothing. Other posters are indicating that this may not be available here in NA yet. I would be interested possibly taking advantage of that service IF (big if) the maps for Canada would actually change now and again.

Cheers

I spoke to TT support, and they tell me you first have to buy the latest map, and then you can subscribe.

Cheers

I DID buy the latest map (NA 8.10) on Tuesday. There is no place in Home 2.4 for me (or other North Americans) to subscribe. Not that I've found, anyway.

Exactally, but is it possible for you to show just a tad further east?...I need to see if they show Hwy 3 as a divided 4 lane. It shows as a undivided 2 lane on my 715 map. It has been a 4 lane hwy for about 12 years.

cheers

How is this. Best I can do.

morden1.jpg

That is exactally it. However, it is incorrect. Where it branches off, it should read hwy 3 on both sides, it shows the bottom as 14, which doesnt exist for another 6KM, where hwy 3 turns north, and hwy 14 continues east.

odd eh?

Cheers

Map Subscription Costs

Recently a friend updated his TomTom 720 at a cost of 69 euros or about $110 Cdn. I find this quite steep considering other GPS companies offer updates for less. After a few years, the cost to update the maps will be worth more than the actual unit. I'm wondering if the same marketing techniques have been borrowed from inkjet printer manufacturers whose replacement cartridges are often worth more than the printer?
The updated map identified newly created subdivision streets in Lindsay Ontario, but curiously continued to omit many that have been there for years (Murdoch Court for example).
I have a TomTom 730 which is 2 quarters out of date.. I am wondering how many map updates are really necessary.

Last edited:
The frequency of updates depends on your needs.
If you are a courier or cab driver you'll use every single opportunity. If you are retired like I you may consider updating every other year.

In the meantime a good indicator for TomTom is Google Maps as they are coming from Tele Atlas too.

I just checked with NAVTEQ maps (]Mapquest) and they do not show a Murdoch Ct in Lindsey either but it in Kawartha Lakes, they do show it in Kawartha Lakes. (Tele Atlas / TomTom does not.)

This is a problem with both the main map providers, if a municipality changes its name it some time will still allow the old one and some times not. For example, if you enter Bellamy Rd, Scarborough, ON TomTom will still find it but list it as:
Bellamy Rd N
Toronto, ON, Canada
(near Scarborough)
Some other roads in Scarborough do not exist until one uses Toronto as the town.

I suggest next time your friend is on Murdoch Ct with the 720 switched on, ask him to mark a map share correction and have him send it when connected to TomTom through HOME.

Last edited:
Map Subscription Costs

Many thanks for your reply. Will TomTom be using Google maps? My friend lives on a relatively new subdivision street which he found on the updated map. I was surprised to see Murdoch Court and many others in that area still omitted from the new maps.
About the subscription costs; I am tempted to buy a Navigon 2120Max. It appears to have most of the features of my 730 and gives 3 years of map updates included in the purchase price.

I purchased the subscription. I paid $20 to get the latest map (compared to $80), then $56 Euros for the year. I didn't find that too bad. The maps are super accurate for this area, way beyond what you would find on google or yahoo maps. My street and others in my area have been there for 2 years and have not been updated on the others (even Garmin's newest maps) and they are on the TomTom maps. Will I continue with the subscription after, that depends on my needs. If I am not planning on travelling outside my normal areas then perhaps not. With my Garmin's I only updated (at a cost of $180 per map) when I was planning a large trip, or maybe every other year.

J

Will TomTom be using Google maps?
TomTom owns Tele Atlas. In the spring of 2008 Google Maps switched from using NAVTEQ maps to Tele Atlas maps.
About the subscription costs; I am tempted to buy a Navigon 2120Max. It appears to have most of the features of my 730 and gives 3 years of map updates included in the purchase price.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Navigon except they had eMailed me in May 2008 that they would make maps of Europe available for sale at the end of Q2. I needed that for early June. That's when I bought my 930.

Ask a Question