Map Share map corrections not working?

Mine is still not working, but I did get a response back from tech support this morning.

We recently released a new map version 8.60 on November 15, 2010. However, the total number required for the Map Share? Corrections were not gathered and thus, this misleading message was sent out. This issue is purely technical and we have already started the process to release more number of Map Share? corrections to cover it up. Rest assured that you are using the latest map if you have 8.60 or 860.xxxx version installed on the device Please keep updating your device regularly (this and next week), as this issue is estimated to be fixed pretty soon.

So let's see how long it really takes now.

Others are reporting to be receiving them so it shouldn't be too long now. Just check daily.

Ok now I'm really starting to get upset. I can not believe it has been almost a month and it is still not working. Tech support just keeps saying it should be working some time soon.

I've mentioned it before, but MapShare is nothing to be overly concerned with. It's highly likely that you'd never see a TomTom verified change even if you received every one of them. With a few thousand spread over 6 million miles of North American roads, there's not enough mapshares to have even one per city (you'd need over 20000 not counting small towns) in just the US, never mind Canada and Mexico. Sure it's good to have all the features working, but you really aren't missing out on anything important to your daily navigation needs. I wouldn't personally lose any sleep over it.

I don't use Map Share as I got fed up with stupid changes that were actually degrading the quality of the map, sure I can unblock roads but why should I have to just because some idiot tried to add a rotary/ roundabout and managed to block roads instead!
In the end after some rather bizzare routes provided by the device all of which were down to map share I turned it off and its staying off.

MapShare = Map Degradation Scheme as far as I have seen - Mike

MapShare is my only hope

MapShare = Map Degradation Scheme as far as I have seen - Mike

Yet over a year ago I reported 2 roads in my area that TT keeps sending me over, but they've been impassible for at least 8 years. TT still hasn't updated their maps to show them as closed. So MapShare is my only way to help people from trying to drive through these dead ends.

What drives me nuts is, even after I mark them as impassible on my TT, it will still route me onto them! Hey, if I say the road's closed, don't send me there!

:mad:

What drives me nuts is, even after I mark them as impassible on my TT, it will still route me onto them! Hey, if I say the road's closed, don't send me there!

:mad:
Something wrong about that. Roads that I mark as "blocked" stay that way, and my TomTom never tries to send me along them again. It sounds as though your blocking effort was unsuccessful, even at the TomTom (much less mapshare) level.

Canderson,

Thanks for that. My mistake. After I posted this, I noticed that when I tapped that section it showed a small red x in the info box, which seems to indicate not to use it. This happened 18 months ago, so maybe a software update fixed this. We were traveling the same area all day and it kept trying to send us down this blocked road.:D:rolleyes:

I just checked and you're absolutely right.

Sorry for the mistake.:eek:

@StewS

One thing that MAY have happened -- your changes may be deleted during a map update. If your unit firmware is 8.XXX, certain files are initialized during a map update that will wipe out things you've customized (e.g., your Favorites). So if at one time or another (or still) your unit was at that firmware level, you may have lost changes during an update.

Units with 9.XXX level firmware should not have this problem. Not sure which model you've got, so can't advise whether you could/should move to more recent firmware.

If your firmware is older, and map updates are important to you - among other things - the following files should be copied off safely to your hard drive and copied back:

from your map folder: mapsettings.cfg
from your root directory: settings.dat, UserPatch.dat

I think that covers it.

I guess it is my turn to post here.

I called the 866 number after not being able to get Map Share working. Like others, my home country would not show in the preferences area.

Phone support went from 9am to 4:30pm. I was paced through many things until she decided to delete the application and re-install it. Once we did that the flickering/rolling that everyone else has been getting in other threads started up. Then she went even further. She had me reformat and re-install everything and when the flicker/screen roll would not go away, she took me through the paces of RMAing the device.

So I was hoping to document the Map Share fix procedure for people and instead, we got sidetracked on the screen roll, and now I don?t have a device to use at all.

Lump of coal in my stocking this Christmas I guess.

I updated to the 860 maps back in late Nov....I'm used to MapShare not working immediately after an update. One month+ later I decided to try the forum....Same symptoms here:
No MapShare updates since 860 update
MapShare preferences don't list any countries to choose from

I realized that a newer version of HOME was available, so I updated HOME from 2.7 to 2.8.

Still no countries listed.
Still no MapShare updates
But....now when I try to access the updates page, TT HOME actually throws an error.

Sigh....It seems like I went further backwards rather than forward.

There is a bloddy irritating bug in the new Home version where you'll see that stupid error over and over. Just 'X' it each time and your updates will proceed normally. Hopefully, mapshares will start for you at some point but honestly I wouldn't sweat it that much.

You can still make corrections for your own map using mapshares.

There is a bloddy irritating bug in the new Home version where you'll see that stupid error over and over. Just 'X' it each time and your updates will proceed normally.
I found that by killing off map 845 from the map download area on Home and by killing off map 715 (amazing, eh?) from an old Home backup for the 720, I was able to get it to stop ragging me about errors. I have no idea why it was complaining about those, but as neither are needed now ...

I got the bright idea today to bring the software back to the version to when it came out of the box.

The best thing I ever did was back up the unit even before downloading and running TomtomHome.

After the restore I fired up TTH, Tools>Tomtom Map Share> How to Join then I pushed the “update Now” button. This then offered me a map share update!

I downloaded the update, installed and rebooted. Then back into tools>TT Map share>preferences. I am happy to see no more RED light (it's green now) telling me I am 20 days out of date with my updates and at the same time the “Countries Tab” was populated with all the US States and Canada/Mexico entries.

Bottom line is, my map share works out of the box.

My problem was that I think I bypassed the map share DL process when I first signed into TTH to do other things. When you do this, TTH never let me repeat/complete the same “Join” process thereafter, which is why the countries information never got populated.

I am going to continue and rebuild from this point, but first a question:

Should I be able to copy over an already downloaded version of the existing map update? Or should I go through the laborious process of repeating the DL? In either case it will be interesting so see if the map share functionality is maintained going forward.

Make an Explorer backup first......

But the dl map should be able to be installed (again) without downloading it again.

Ask a Question