Map Share - How do I know its doing it?

This is probably a silly question:

I just purchased a Tom Tom One 3rd Edition - low and behold the street I live on is mapped but not named so I use the Map correction feature to give it a name - I configure the unit to upload all my changes and to download other people's changes.

How do I know this actually occurs? When I plug the unit into the computer - Tom Tom Home fires up but I never see any kind of notice or confirmation that anything to do with map share is going on.

The 'Latest Map garuntee and Map Share' code on the flier I received doesn't work giving me a Promotion code does not exist or promotion has ended.

I'm running Tom Tom Home 1.5 build 106 and it reports no needed updates to my unit.

I'm just curious - should I see anything going on? Should Map Share show up as a feature in my Tom Tom account online somehow?

Thanks,

Looks like I just answered this myself - why is the version of Tom Tom Home you download direct from the website not the same version the Tom Tom downlaods if you start the install from the executable on its drive? Caused me some confusion.

MapShare updates

Two comments:
1) I too upgraded to TT1 V3 for MapShare. Mine installed Home Version 2.0, but over the past week it upgraded itself to a newer version. 2.1 I think.

2) I too have been busy updating minor errors in my area. (Like the airport being on the wrong side of the runway). So far I haven't see any changes after 2 weeks. I did discover that you need to add your email address to a link in TTHome to specifically request to be notified when your changes are reviewed. My attempts to clarify how this works with TTSupport have not produced meaningful results yet.
:)

Two comments:
1) I too upgraded to TT1 V3 for MapShare. Mine installed Home Version 2.0, but over the past week it upgraded itself to a newer version. 2.1 I think.

2) I too have been busy updating minor errors in my area. (Like the airport being on the wrong side of the runway). So far I haven't see any changes after 2 weeks. I did discover that you need to add your email address to a link in TTHome to specifically request to be notified when your changes are reviewed. My attempts to clarify how this works with TTSupport have not produced meaningful results yet.
:)

The validation process for MapShare change requests will take time if you only trust TomTom or other specific "Trusted" sources. TomTom supposedly goes through a rigorous investigation to assure that the suggested changes are accurate. Accepting updates from all sources may leave you wondering if you received trustworthy information.

In the case of the terminal at the airport you mentioned, it would seem that a simple visit to Google Earth would provide all the evidence needed to make the change rather quickly. My guess is that you probably won't see the updates show up for weeks or months if you only allow data from TomTom. Not too handy...huh?
:confused:

Last edited:
I've gotten about three downloads of Mapshare corrections. Has anyone actually seen a correction in their maps from Mapshare? In other words, something that was missing or wrong before is now suddenly correct? Can you tell it's a Mapshare change or does it look just like all the other roads?

I've sent a number of corrections myself, so I will watch for those changes since I know what to look for.

I made a correction on the street I work on. The first old maps North America 650 was correct making my work street a dead end. It was changed from 6.65 to the new North America 7 map. I changed it and shared it. If you check that udpate I did, you may see if the correction to spread to other users, let me know if you would like me to give you the street and city.

What version of maps works with mapshare? Just got the new version on my 910 but says mapshare won't work, I have 665. I see I can get 675 for over 100 bucks...damn that sux! Thanks in advance!

well a few report to have it working with the 6.75 maps. But they can only make corrections and not download new ones.

well a few report to have it working with the 6.75 maps. But they can only make corrections and not download new ones.

Ok thanks. I don't even see version 7 maps available, only an update to 675 for 100+ bucks and don't want to spend that when I just recently got the 665. When will they release maps for 910 that are compatible with this new software?

>>well a few report to have it working with the 6.75 maps. But they can only make corrections and not download new ones.

I have 6.75 and I've received downloads. Like I said though, can't tell if anything is changing.

Yes, I have Home 2.1 and I get mapshare downloads. Got another one tonight. I assume the map is improving, just can't tell where.

On another note, what do most people have set up as far as getting mapshare data? Have you checked 'get maps from everyone', or just 'trusted sources', or what?

Last edited:
Yes, I have Home 2.1 and I get mapshare downloads. Got another one tonight. I assume the map is improving, just can't tell where.

On another note, what do most people have set up as far as getting mapshare data? Have you checked 'get maps from everyone', or just 'trusted sources', or what?

I checked "verified by TomTom" and "trusted sources". But I have no idea what does the "trusted sources" means. :confused:

Yeah i am also getting updates from mapshare but you need to have the lastest TTHome, Map sharing works on TT ONE gen2's also but you need to have the lastest map Ver 675.

Matt

Yeah i am also getting updates from mapshare but you need to have the lastest TTHome, Map sharing works on TT ONE gen2's also but you need to have the lastest map Ver 675.

I never got mapshare updates with 6.75. It will let you post corrections but until I upgraded to 7.10, it never actually downloaded any updates. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Caution - your newly added POI's will disappear

I just added my "free" map update (no number required) to my TT1-V3, and sadly all the POI's that I have submitted as new mapshare POI's have now disappeared...:confused:
I tried restoring the mapsettings.cfg file that the TT site suggests, but it only restored my Favorites
Has anyone else solved this dillema?
OR, found a way to export the "new" POI's that have been added/submitted to MapShare (and NOT yet approved by TT).

Ask a Question