Map Question from Newbie

I got a PM asking something like this:

I have a new Tomtom One, and I'm going to be traveling to the Caribbean next week (cruise). I don't believe that maps are available for the Caribbean, do you have any idea how the TT One will react while in the Caribbean? Will it give me lat/long info so I can plot waypoints on my paper map? Thanks in advance for your help.

My reply was:
If you don't have the right map loaded or if you are in an area where you are "off" the map, the TomTom won't function at all. I don't think it will give you long/Lat... but you can post your question on the board...maybe someone else knows better than I.

Am I correct?

I strongly believe that the unit will be able to track the satellites and provide the gps location (browse map, find, gps location), even when it won't be able to trace a route due to no maps existing.

But if you don't have a map installed, or are off the range of the installed map, when you select "browse map" it will error out saying no usable map.

test this... anyone with an SD card, just pull it out and try to get somewhere... Or, if anyone is daring enoguh to fully test, wipe out your current map. I renamed my Map folder and it told me 'no usable map'. Looks like this person who origionally asked me will be SOL.

Sorry!

Hmmm... I travel a lot to Costa Rica and the map installed is "locked" (it stays in the screen, no planning possible), but you can still play with the unit and get a signal (I have a ONE and a 910). What kind of error have you gotten?

I did this a while ago and am posting from memory. I can't recall my error. but if you say it's workable, can you post a 'how-to'?

I'm posting by memory too, lol. I believe that you may have your current maps still installed (will show your home address and such), the difference is the planning. Maybe he can try this: Browse map > find> gps location. I'll have to look into it on the next trip.

you'll just get a blank "map" on your main nav screen or Browse Map.

That's what happened to me when I was running Battom's Alaska map.

That's it...we need to have a talk with the TomTomForums staff about this post missing stuff! :D haha

OK, I take back what I said earlier. It does work (sort of).

I installed my France map (and I'm here in Canada). When I get a satellite lock, the map screen goes blank. But from the GPS Status screen, It will display the Latitude and Longitude (and the speed too).

I would suggest that the user install TripMaster, which works anywhere without the need of a map. It will even record a 'breadcrumb' trail, I believe, which is saved as an itinerary file for later viewing.

touch?!!! The breadcrumb trail can then be later viewed thru Google earth!!! nice call jimbo!

Do you have screen-capture enabled on your Device? Could you give us a few images of your France map from Canada so we have a better idea of what we're all talking about...

Battom

Couldn't figure out how to attach the images from the screen dump, so I sent them to your Hotmail address.

Thanks I'll host and post!

future reference, you can email me at tomtomhelper_AT_gmail_dot_com (damn SPAMbots)

Sitting in my house in Canada with my France map active, these are shots of what the main screen looks like. And also the GPS info screen.

1.bmp

2.bmp

So you can see that you just get a bluish screen with no map details, but you have satellite lock and your coordinates are displayed. This will work anywhere in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
It works with no map detail.
I've seen users use their gps on airplanes and watching the speed and how they fly over the country. pretty neat.

Ask a Question